Home Cigar 101

Seasoned with packs and using HF beads...but...

Hey guys! I got a 100-ct humi and used four 84% seasoning packs to season it and now I have a 65% HF rectangular unit. However, I have to recharge it every 3-4 weeks (it goes to 70% for a day or so and then stabalizes at 65%). Since I've never used them, is that too much?
Should I re-season it? Let me know what you think!

Comments

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigars should be kept between 60-70% Rh. I like a humidity around 67% and others prefer it a little higher or lower. If you're at 65% and are enjoying your cigars, there's nothing to worry about.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's probably about right for a wood humidor. It might not have the best seal but having to charge them one a month is not too bad.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    I should add it you want to do it less ad more beads.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I got my foot locker humidor I also got an electric humidifier. Followed Sean's suggestion on seasoning, and so far it has worked perfectly. I wiped down the inside with humi-wipes and 8 hours later set up the Excel humidifier and I have a constant reading of 68RH which for me is perfect. Even adding the Roman auction (humongous) package from Bigshizza the reading only dropped for a few minutes.

I wish there were some electric humidifiers for smaller boxes. In all my smaller boxes its a combination of Bovedas and the round gel thingys. And RH level has to be checked and adjusted far too frequently.

I am planning to modify my 2 Cinco Vegas boxes and making them into 1 big box sometime in the future I like the system so much.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wanting to try the HF 70% beads myself. Do you need any other kind of humidification to go along with the beads?
  • If recharging every month or so is ok...then I'm ok! Haha. And also I think I wasn't clear...it stays at around 65% for a few weeks...then drops...then I recharge and it goes to 68-70 for a day or so and then back to 65 for a few weeks. BUT STILL if recharging the HF beads is ok on a monthly basis for now (before my area gets really humid) I'm ok with that!
    Yeah I would say you are fine. Like I said if you add more beads it will help it last longer and stabilize quicker. For my cooler which holds humidity a lot better I have to recharge probably every other month or so but if I wasn't going into it at least once a day it would last much longer.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    65 is good!! Don't let the 70/70 get in your head or you'll be miserable always trying to hold it there especially with a humidor...but at least more humid weather is getting close
    Money can't buy taste
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    65 is good!! Don't let the 70/70 get in your head or you'll be miserable always trying to hold it there especially with a humidor...but at least more humid weather is getting close

+1 I find lower then 70RH makes for a better smoke across the board.
    Yeah I have found I really enjoy most smokes around 65%. That is what I keep my cooler at. My wood humi stays around 68% as the seal sucks and its the % I have found stays the most stable.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!