Home Cigar 101

Smoking pace and relighting

youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
Hey fellas, I had the same odd thing happen to me with a few sticks recently and was wondering if maybe I am smoking too slow.

Have you ever had a stick that was impossible to smoke at a slow pace (to really maximize flavors on the retrohale) because it wouldn't stay lit?

photo 20150410_182316_4_bestshot_zpsaclfvzvx.png

Two smokes from 2 separate b&m's had this issue this month for me. Both the Camacho Triple Maduro belicoso and the Romeo y Julieta A
ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The triple Maddie are notorious for that. It has a lot to do with the wrapper and all that maduro. Lower rh helps. But some cigars like to set their own pace for you too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    The triple Maddie are notorious for that. It has a lot to do with the wrapper and all that maduro. Lower rh helps. But some cigars like to set their own pace for you too.
    That's what I figured about the triple: too much maddie. I think the A
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Gray4lines:
    That's what I figured about the triple: too much maddie. I think the A
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Smoking in the car may be the issue... But to answer your question, yes sometimes smoking slow let's the cigar go out. Just relight lightly. I'd rather have that issue then smoking fast and having the flavor tar.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Smoking in the car may be the issue... But to answer your question, yes sometimes smoking slow let's the cigar go out. Just relight lightly. I'd rather have that issue then smoking fast and having the flavor tar.
    +1,000
    Money can't buy taste
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes too slow is an easy fix. Too fast can ruin the cigar in a hurry...
    catfishbluezz:
    Is smoking in the truck a bad idea? I usually only smoke in there if it's windy or too cold to enjoy myself.
    youngryan216:
    catfishbluezz:
    Is smoking in the truck a bad idea? I usually only smoke in there if it's windy or too cold to enjoy myself.
    Maybe he assumed you were driving and attention was no on the cigar. I always get more relights or crooked burn when driving, but a cigar with coffee while driving makes any trip awesome.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    youngryan216:
    catfishbluezz:
    Maybe he assumed you were driving and attention was no on the cigar. I always get more relights or crooked burn when driving, but a cigar with coffee while driving makes any trip awesome.
    if the window is open then it messes with the burn while driving.
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:
    youngryan216:
    catfishbluezz:
    Ahh ok, I understand. Sadly, I'm usually parked in my driveway, watching the Cavs game on my phone when I blaze up. Like a loser lol
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:
    youngryan216:
    catfishbluezz:
    Ahh ok, I understand. Sadly, I'm usually parked in my driveway, watching the Cavs game on my phone when I blaze up. Like A MFING BOSS
    fixed for you
    brianetz1:
    youngryan216:
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:
    youngryan216:
    catfishbluezz:
    Ahh ok, I understand. Sadly, I'm usually parked in my driveway, watching the Cavs game on my phone when I blaze up. Like A MFING BOSS
    fixed for you
    Literally lol'd Thanks for the confidence
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Have had this happen more than once I figured it was a humidity thing or me just smoking to slow
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call this a tip, but one thing I enjoy with every cigar is studying it to determine the pace it wants to be smoked at... trying to avoid the cone-shaped/pointy cherry by going to fast, and not so slow that it tunnels... I just watch the wrapper and make sure it has a clean burn-line with each draw. It's like developing a relationship with each stick, listening to what it likes.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc:
    I wouldn't call this a tip, but one thing I enjoy with every cigar is studying it to determine the pace it wants to be smoked at... trying to avoid the cone-shaped/pointy cherry by going to fast, and not so slow that it tunnels... I just watch the wrapper and make sure it has a clean burn-line with each draw. It's like developing a relationship with each stick, listening to what it likes.
    Far out man . . .
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    Is this a cause of tunnels? I tend to purposely smoke very slowly, and I do experience tunnels at times. I've always thought that I hadn't given the cigar enough rest time, or that there was some humidity or construction issue going on. I'd never thought about it being from smoking too slowly. Hmm...what to do?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Definitely smoking slow will cause a tunnel. Humidity or construction can too though.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    peter4jc:
    Is this a cause of tunnels? I tend to purposely smoke very slowly, and I do experience tunnels at times. I've always thought that I hadn't given the cigar enough rest time, or that there was some humidity or construction issue going on. I'd never thought about it being from smoking too slowly. Hmm...what to do?

Ditto. I assumed the wrapper was more moist than the Binder & Filler and that was why I would experience the occasional "Tunnel". Huh.... Good to know (or at least pay attention too).
  • You will find that in a few cigars if you smoke quite a few stogies. Sometimes they wrap the tabacco to tight or a thick binder. Padron is a great cigar that rarely has any draw or burn problems. If you find a stick that has a bad draw just get rid of it and grab another and enjoy. You will find several lines that are always great.