Home Ratings & Reviews

Rate the Colibri Grip Cigar Cutter

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
How do you rate this cutter? I know it's sometimes just a freebie and I hate to be negative about freebies but I'm gonna say that this cutter offered often with many ccom cigar deals only gets a D rating from me. I actually bought a few of these myself (before I knew better) and have also gotten a few as freebies. I quickly learned that even though they appear to function in the same manner as the xikar teardrop cutters, the colibri grip does not come anywhere close to the cut or performance of a xikar. The Colibri Grip tends to pinch and tear rather than cut cleanly. I keep my colibri grip cutters around for emergency backups only. What do you have to say about the Colibri Grip?

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. They are pretty terrible compared to the xikar's. I have a pile of the Colibri and I usually hand them out to friends who are just getting going or in a dire need if I can't find my other ones. It seems their blades are just not sharp enough to get a nice clean cut through the stick.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    I agree. They are pretty terrible compared to the xikar's. I have a pile of the Colibri and I usually hand them out to friends who are just getting going or in a dire need if I can't find my other ones. It seems their blades are just not sharp enough to get a nice clean cut through the stick.
    Yes, but I don't even feel good about giving them away, LOL. I've often wondered if I could take these to and experienced knife guy and if he could sharpen them enough to make them into decent cutters. The angle of the bevel on the blades is not as narrow as the xikar either so, it may not be anything worth messing with but, I might try getting a Colibri Grip professionally sharpened sometime.
    Bob Luken:
    avengethis:
    Yes, but I don't even feel good about giving them away, LOL. I've often wondered if I could take these to and experienced knife guy and if he could sharpen them enough to make them into decent cutters. The angle of the bevel on the blades is not as narrow as the xikar either so, it may not be anything worth messing with but, I might try getting a Colibri Grip professionally sharpened sometime.
    If you do let me know. To me I have so many that its no different than giving away the cheapo $.50 plastic ones so I use these instead. I usually warn people about them though.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Never used one, but I agree, being free does not constitute good.
    One God, One Truth
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a Dremel? There are small sharpening/grinding stones for this tool such as 8153 or even smaller 997, might be worth a try.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Agree. I have one, and it doesn't even work as good as the ordinary guillitine cutter
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    A buddy of mine had one and I tried it once and that was enough for me haha.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used two and they both seem to have a lot of play in them. I avoid them if I can.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, sub-par even compared to the free single-blade cutters that I've had. It's too bad, I love the design and the weight of them.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are sub par but will work in a pinch, would rate them a D myself. The best way to cut with these (after reading about this somewhere) is once you get the blades on the cigar before cutting, apply a small amount of pressure like pushing the stick into the cutter. I find that doing this gives a better cut without the stragglers left behind. Definitely no where near a Xikar.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one as a freebie and it looks nice, but it doesn't even cut as well as the plain Jane free one I got with my Daniel Marshall humidor. I have a Xicar one now and it works so much better, but I use my Xicar punch a lot more these days.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I had one...first week I had it I dropped it on carpet...it blew up on me into every piece imaginable. Needless to say I asked about warranty and there is none so to the recycle bin it went
    Money can't buy taste
    If anybody has not had one and wants to try one let me know. I have more than I need and will gladly make room in my accessories box.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like mine so far. Always has a good clean cut but it's still basically new to. I have noticed the locking mechanism sometimes doesn't want to catch though.