Home Cigar 101

Quick Seasoning question

CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
If I have the "Humicare" beads do I need to use the humidifier as well that came with my Humidor?

(I know it seems like a dumb question but I figured I should ask than to just assume.)

Comments

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't, usually the humidifier that comes with a humidor is the cheap seafoam.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I originally had both in there and I'm not sure I charged it right, so later this evening I will be going through the process that I saw posted here. The humidor/Cigar combo I got was a "bday gift" from a friend but I knew what is was when I opened the box, it was the 5 Vegas set from Cigars International. I loved the cigars, shared them with my friends and such, but the humidity level has only ever gotten as high as 61. So I feel I did something wrong somewhere in the process.

Reading over the list of  'tips' every cigar newb should know, I put the cigars straight in the humidor. Guess it's a rookie mistake, but it is my first humidor. I did the distilled water coating inside the box, but didn't do anything else other than fill the humicare jar with distilled water as well. Also didn't coat the tray. I did make sure there was no "build up" of water though, like no puddles or anything.
    I would store the cigars in a large ziplock bag and put a dish of distilled water inside the humidor for 4-7 days. Don't open the humidor while doing this. Don't wipe down the inside of the humidor. Are you using a digital or analog hygrometer? Have you done a salt test?
    Only got 2 of the Cigars left. And I have not done a salt test. I'm guessing I should do that first? The setup in the "Cigars International" video for "Salt test" is identical to the Humidor that I have.

And it's analog, as I said before, it was a gift so I didn't choose what I got.
    Do you only have 2 cigars? There's no way to keep a humidor at a correct Rh with only two cigars. If you've had all of the cigars you're going to buy, I wouldn't bother humidifying your humidor. If you're waiting for a shipment of new cigars, I'd start humidifying now in preparation. Also, a digital hydrometer is something I would buy first.
    Only 2 left out of 30 over the course of a month. If I had the money I would order more. I've got my eye on a few at the moment but funding just isn't there.
    I probably wouldn't worry about reseasoning then. A humidor works best when it's fill to 65-90% of capacity, I believe. This is definitely an expensive hobby and they're some cheaper places to buy cigars. Private message me if you want some more info.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently read that when seasoning a humidor with a dish of water, that it helps to heat the water before placing it in the humi... makes sense to me, since heated water will evaporate faster.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    ^ ^ Agreed, calibrate your hygo's and put a shot glass or 2 of water in there and keep it closed. I put a piece of paper towel sticking up in my shot glasses as kind of a wick to enhance evaporation. Try not to wipe it down if you can, patience. Or just wipe the tray if there is one. Not sure but 61% on an empty humi probably about right. Now you need some more cigars, watch the daily deals and blitzes, good price and free shipping.
    Thank you both for the replies, I kept reading it should be at 65-70% and that's what I have been aiming for. And I've been watching the deals, but gas and other bills come first. xD