Home Cigar 101

swollen mouth

I've been smoking cigars for sometime now. All of sudden, the last two weekends, my mouth and tongue has been swollen when I wake up in the morning. What's going on?

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Doctors are expensive. Why pay for one when you can ask random strangers on the internet? Well, I'm not a doctor, but I pretend to be one when I am picking up on high school girls. It could be an allergy of some kind, or a reaction to something else you've put in your mouth...or something someone else put in your mouth while you were sleeping.

In all seriousness, look at everything you've been eating or drinking. Look for new stuff. It could be a lot of different things. Do some analysis, and try to eliminate obvious possibilities. If you're sure it's the cigars, look at the specific cigars you've been smoking. It's kind of a big open question that's going to take some effort on your part to solve before you can really narrow it down.
  • I have really good health care, so a doctor and or cost is not the issue. I assumed that someone else may have encountered a similar issue and knew what was going on. Especially, since this is a forum for cigar enthusiasts.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, some cigars have more residual effects than others the morning after. But, I have never experienced any swelling. You might be having some type of allergic reaction. May or may not be the cigars. Like Russ said, try to recall everything you consumed before the swelling. And, you might want to see a doc. Good luck to you.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of that before... could be the cigars. Hope not!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Doctors are expensive. Why pay for one when you can ask random strangers on the internet? Well, I'm not a doctor, but I pretend to be one when I am picking up on high school girls. It could be an allergy of some kind, or a reaction to something else you've put in your mouth...or something someone else put in your mouth while you were sleeping.

In all seriousness, look at everything you've been eating or drinking. Look for new stuff. It could be a lot of different things. Do some analysis, and try to eliminate obvious possibilities. If you're sure it's the cigars, look at the specific cigars you've been smoking. It's kind of a big open question that's going to take some effort on your part to solve before you can really narrow it down.
    Lol, I think I just peed a little laughing so hard?? Seriously though kinda sounds like an allergy or at least a reaction to something. Might think about getting tested.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I had this happen just last night while trying a "Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet". It really irritated my mouth, I loved the flavor but it caused my mouth and throat to swell.

It was almost like an allergic reaction, which I'm used to getting. I'm mildly allergic to eggs so in super eggy foods my mouth and throat swell a bit. And peanuts can literally kill me. So I know what one feels like.

Which is irritating in another way because I really liked the taste of that cigar.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crisius:
    I had this happen just last night while trying a "Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet". It really irritated my mouth, I loved the flavor but it caused my mouth and throat to swell.

It was almost like an allergic reaction, which I'm used to getting. I'm mildly allergic to eggs so in super eggy foods my mouth and throat swell a bit. And peanuts can literally kill me. So I know what one feels like.

Which is irritating in another way because I really liked the taste of that cigar.
    I wonder if this could be a reaction to the Spanish Cedar sleeve? SC is an allergen and some people are more sensitive to it than others.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope not, the 5 Vegas Series A I had was wrapped with the SC sleeve as well and didn't give me that kind of reaction. And as I stated, I really liked the flavors. I would hate to not be able to try things because I'm reacting weirdly to them.