Home Cigar 101

Cigarillos

edt71edt71 Posts: 4
Are Cigarillos able to be aged in humidors as their bigger cousins. I notice that some of them, by certain manufacturers, use higher quality wrappers with (supposedly from what Ive read, cheaper parts of higher quality tobacco)

I assume, that the wrappers have the same oils which need a resting or aging but since the fillers are somewhat smaller in size and in quality that not much aging is required or even possible.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    I have aged c-notes( without realizing it) for over a year and there was no difference.
  • edt71edt71 Posts: 4
    Well Im gonna go ahead and try it for a few months. I ordered some Monticristo ciggarillos and gonna try it. Maybe not for a year, but a few weeks to a month. I guess there just isnt enough filler or binder to make a difference or maybe its just the quality of leaf they use for such smaller smokes. (I do hear they use good wrappers but everything else is leftovers)
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Aging cigaraillos sounds so cheap. I love it.I have some in my cooler though, so guess we'll see.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got some Bandidios http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=944 ... from prob 2010
    Like for real.

Not because I'm "aging" them, but because I don't want to smoke them.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smaller rg will age faster relative to a larger cigar. Go for it. But smaller cigars generally will be good to go sooner. You are correct that just because it's a cigarillo doesn't mean inferior tobacco.

jgib, wtf is a bandidio? Lol! Edit: hmm sweet tip... not good?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Iv been trying to decide between. Picking up the banditos or the LA perla black and tans? Has anyone tried those?
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I like certain cigarillos when I just want something for about 15 minutes. Have stored a few in a humidor for odd inventories...didn't seem to change anything as far as taste.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I treat my cigarillos like a lot of people on here, as tweeners. A quick smoke, mostly when I can't sleep and when I am making a quick trip to the store.

I keep them in a small "Sterilite" box with a small round humidifier filled with gel. Keep them on my desk in easy reach and it works well. Never have mixed them with my cigars.
    Crousefer:
    Iv been trying to decide between. Picking up the banditos or the LA perla black and tans? Has anyone tried those?
    I have an almost used up order of Black and Tans. But my favorite by far is "La Aurora Leoninos Corojito" which use to be on clearance for $50 for 4 boxes of 25. Now I do a search and can't find them. Strange because they show up on Sprint once in a while. To quote Walt Basil "they are tasty little morsels". I just checked Cigars International and they have 75 (3 boxes) for $49.99.
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Crousefer:
    I have an almost used up order of Black and Tans. But my favorite by far is "La Aurora Leoninos Corojito" which use to be on clearance for $50 for 4 boxes of 25. Now I do a search and can't find them. Strange because they show up on Sprint once in a while. To quote Walt Basil "they are tasty little morsels". I just checked Cigars International and they have 75 (3 boxes) for $49.99.
    I have actutly seen the LA auroras pop up a few times in the catalog. I think this Thursday I'll bite the bullet and pick up the 75 pack with payday. My attention span for longer smokes has just been out the window lately so I have been looking for a good alternative. Thanks for the advice!
  • phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    I have a new tin of Cohibas (minus 1) that need a home if anyone wants to give them a whirl. Not for me......
    Crousefer said:
    jd50ae:
    Crousefer:
    I have actutly seen the LA auroras pop up a few times in the catalog. I think this Thursday I'll bite the bullet and pick up the 75 pack with payday. My attention span for longer smokes has just been out the window lately so I have been looking for a good alternative. Thanks for the advice!

More then happy to take them off your hands if you don't care for them.

• phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    jd50ae,
    If you were replying to my offer, PM me.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ::somewhat of a thread jack::

The better half and I wanted a quick smoke (~15-20 mins) so smoked a couple of machine rolled Garcia y Vega pops crystals last night. It was my first cigarillo since high school, and mine was very sweet. Hers was not so bad (more cedar flavored).

I understand the disparity in flavor (they were pulled from the same box at the gas station) is due to the tobacco Garcia uses -- it is from various filler tabac.

Honestly, the sweetness really bummed me out. The only comparison I could draw was in comparison against a nice hand rolled cigar -- it was analogous to a cheap flavored beer versus a nice microbrew.

I felt Garcia was cheating by sweetening it. Even if it was a bland smoke, I would have preferred it to being sweetened. Blergh.

Today, in order to have something available for the ~15-20 min smoke, I bought a tin of Davidoff from Ccom, which interestingly were cheaper than the Garcias (Good ol' Utah sin tax...I paid 2.30/each after tax).

I have relatively high hopes for the Davidoff cigarillos!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a chance to smoke a Davidoff Club Cigarillo.

Hot damn. Tons of smoke from the stick, creamy, nutty, and cedar flavor throughout.

Night and day diff from the Garcia. 

If you like cigarillos, do yourself a favor and pick a tin up. Don't be like me and try to yard gar it. Sit and enjoy it even more.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch