Home General Discussion

wineador question

hi,
i have a question about a wineador.
i bought this small size thermoelectric wine cooler to keep cigars inside.
It seems like the temp. goes up to 62 F. And the humidity goes up to 62%.
Would this be a good number to keep the cigars inside?

help me out guys.

Thanks.

Comments

• deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Thats a fine number
  • i just thought that 62 F would be too low. I was more thinking of 65 F range previously.
    For the humidity, i'm seeing that my HF beads are not giving constant number. It could be because i was opening the door too often.. like once in 2 hours.
    I did find out that the combination of crystal humidifier + HF beads recover rH quickly after opening the door. what do you guys think about that?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not own a wineador but I really want one. There is a decent amount of info on this here on the forum if you do a search. I think most of the guys use a lot of beads, probably more than recommended. My target rh would also be around 65. I use kitty litter in my coolidors and that can be lightly sprayed with distilled water to bump the rh up a bit. Not sure if the guys that use Heartfelt beads do the same thing or not.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 65% beads but actually prefer it whenever they drop to around 62%. My sticks seem to burn better at the lower RH. As for temp, anything below 70 degrees is fine because of the beetle threat above that temp. They don't move around looking for mates when it's below 70.
  • my guy at local cigar shop said to keep the cigars at room temp.
    Do you taste the difference when you smoke a cool cigar at 62 F and a warm cigar at 70F?
  • i'm actually doing a ton of researches on this matter and everything else.
    i have the half LBS HF beads in my 6 bottle wine cooler. It's pretty small.
    i got the new tray in made of maple wood myself., and distributed the beads inside the wineador.
    I hope the rH sits consistant this time
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    evmedievalol@hotmail.com:
    my guy at local cigar shop said to keep the cigars at room temp. Do you taste the difference when you smoke a cool cigar at 62 F and a warm cigar at 70F?
    What's 'room' temperature? I don't really see this as that big of a problem unless your wineador is at 40 and the room temp is 90, I mean why would it be any different than taking a cigar from an air conditioned house outside to smoke? I haven't noticed any taste difference between a cool cigar and a warm one but then my palate is not that refined anyway, cigars are a lot tougher that a lot of us give them credit for. Imo anything under 70 is great but mostly not realistic, my house is around 73 -74 F year around. I freeze All of my smokes as soon as they arrive to kill any beetle larvae that may be present.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I try to keep mine at about 55-60f and 62-65rh if James suckling does it it's good enough for me
    Money can't buy taste
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I try to keep mine at about 55-60f and 62-65rh if James suckling does it it's good enough for me
    I hope that was an autocorrect.
  • I completely agree with you. Thanks.
    I won't be worried about keeping it in my wineador now.
    1/2 lbs of HF beads are in but i'll be getting KL to add another 1/2 lbs or one pound. Way more than what i need for my 6 bottle wine cooler.
    But keeping the rH consistent is important.