Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Butane Fuel

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sunday morning is lighter re-fill day.

I normally use "Ronson", but I have a small "Colibri Premium Butane Gas" can and thought I would use it up. Small problem, the lighter pressure was greater and all of the gas went into the re-fill can. Now I know that pressure is how this works but when the pressure in the lighter is greater then the re-fill can it is time to change. So, back to the "Ronson" refill can and no more backwards results.

Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's new to me, but I always drain the remaking fuel from my lighter and close the valve as much as possible before refilling.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:

I normally use "Ronson", but I have a small "Colibri Premium Butane Gas" can and thought I would use it up. Small problem, the lighter pressure was greater and all of the gas went into the re-fill can. Now I know that pressure is how this works but when the pressure in the lighter is greater then the re-fill can it is time to change. So, back to the "Ronson" refill can and no more backwards results.

Uh, don't you purge your lighter before refilling it?
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    jd50ae:

Of course.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    jlmarta:
    jd50ae:

Of course.

Then, unless we each define 'purge' differently, I submit that had you purged prior to refilling there would be no excess pressure in your lighter to blow fuel 'backward' into the refill can. Purging removes ALL pressure from your lighter.

Is your interpretation different than mine?
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could've gotten a bum can with too little propellant... sometimes temp can affect refueling too, but I've never see a lighter refuse to fill up.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try putting the lighter in the fridge/freezer for a little bit to cool it and then the warmer butane should flow into the lighter at that point.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White