Home General Discussion

humidor wood type

hi,
i recently made a tray out of maple wood (i believe) for my wineador.
I'm not sure if the smell is from the maple wood itself or from cutting the wood but it's pretty strong.
This smell is completely different than the spanish cedar.
It gets me to wonder, is it ok to use maple or ply wood for trays?
I used it because i got them quick and free. It took me little over an hour to make a tray..haha.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    evmedievalol@hotmail.com:
    hi, i recently made a tray out of maple wood (i believe) for my wineador. I'm not sure if the smell is from the maple wood itself or from cutting the wood but it's pretty strong. This smell is completely different than the spanish cedar. It gets me to wonder, is it ok to use maple or ply wood for trays? I used it because i got them quick and free. It took me little over an hour to make a tray..haha.
    I would be hesitant to use Maple in a humi. Even cedar (aromatic cedar that is used in cedar chests) is not good in a humidor.

But this makes me think of another question about alternative woods. I'll post a separate thread.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Maple itself should be okay, It could be the finish on it maybe?
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There is a reason why 99% of all wood humidors are made of Spanish Cedar....it's the best as far as keeping RH and it's porous where as other hardwoods aren't. SC releases and absorbs relative humidity better than other woods and it helps transfer that great taste of cedar into our cigars. While using maple or oak as trays inside of your humidor won't cause you issues I just think if you are able to get Spanish Cedar your miles ahead.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    There is a reason why 99% of all wood humidors are made of Spanish Cedar....it's the best as far as keeping RH and it's porous where as other hardwoods aren't. SC releases and absorbs relative humidity better than other woods and it helps transfer that great taste of cedar into our cigars. While using maple or oak as trays inside of your humidor won't cause you issues I just think if you are able to get Spanish Cedar your miles ahead.
    holy moly!! I agree with cigary completely...if it's for the wineador yeah I don't see a problem let it air out and get the smell down. I wouldn't build a humidor with the stuff but a tray ain't gonna kill you
    Money can't buy taste
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid question, but would there be any issue with sap or resin from Maple? Have never used the wood, and not sure if kiln dried would take care of that.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    rsherman24:
    Stupid question, but would there be any issue with sap or resin from Maple? Have never used the wood, and not sure if kiln dried would take care of that.
    A leeching resin or sap inside a humidor probably isn't a good idea to deal with....hardwoods don't add anything except as a holder if it's a tray. Spanish Cedar is a better way to go and knowing that there could be sap or resins inside my humidor would cause me to lose sleep even though I have never come across what issues it may cause.
  • mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    i think one of the reasons about going cedar is that it keeps the cigar beatles away
  • Thank you for the replies, guys.
    This was my first time making a tray so it was more like a trial using a cheap wood. Free in my case.
    It came out very good so i'll be keeping it. But for the top tray i will make in the future, it'll be in spanish cedar.

Width of my tray was a little wider than the inside of the wineador..LOL I managed to shove it in since the material inside is soft. ROFL