Home Cigar 101

Tar question

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
After a filling breakfast and a mid-morning mow, I decided to enjoy a smoke on the deck. I don't smoke often (on average about once a week) and I was long overdue. Less than an inch into it, I get this extremely bitter taste in my mouth. I take a look at the head and there is tar oozing out the end. The draw seemed fine before I noticed the tar, but I decided to cut a little more off the head. Before finishing the first third it was back.

At this point my palate was just about ruined anyway and it seemed this stick was a lost cause, so I tossed it. My question is, would dry-boxing possibly have prevented this?
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    After a filling breakfast and a mid-morning mow, I decided to enjoy a smoke on the deck. I don't smoke often (on average about once a week) and I was long overdue. Less than an inch into it, I get this extremely bitter taste in my mouth. I take a look at the head and there is tar oozing out the end. The draw seemed fine before I noticed the tar, but I decided to cut a little more off the head. Before finishing the first third it was back.

At this point my palate was just about ruined anyway and it seemed this stick was a lost cause, so I tossed it. My question is, would dry-boxing possibly have prevented this?

I hate that. I have no idea what causes it, though. Or how to prevent it. I've never smoked something twice that's done this to me. Not intentionally, just haven't had it happen on cigars I've bought in multiples, so I don't even know if it's a blend-specific kind of thing or just random.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's nasty looking stuff. Wow. I never have experienced that. Did you save the cigar? I'd like to see an autopsy. Are we sure that's tar? It's not beetle juice is it?
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this happen with an anjeo I was smoking. Doesn't happen often but it sucks when it does.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    That's nasty looking stuff. Wow. I never have experienced that. Did you save the cigar? I'd like to see an autopsy. Are we sure that's tar? It's not beetle juice is it?
    I did save it and that's a good thought. It's most definitely tar and all of that came with less than 2" of the cigar being smoked. My cooler sits at a steady 65% rH so I doubt humidity was the issue. It's a first for me, but thought somebody else might have some ideas.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I've never had that happen!
  • mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    Wow, I've never had that happen!
    Same
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I might be done with any cigars for a few days after that.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was smoking an Anejo when that happened. Did not stop me. Did change the taste a little and get some tar on my teeth.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I'd bag it, notify the manufacturer and see if they want it back. Then send them what's left. If it happened more than once, from the same brand. I'd drop the brand. That is nasty looking.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought overheating usually caused tar. Was it hot? Not sure if it could be construction or not. What cigar was that?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I thought overheating usually caused tar. Was it hot? Not sure if it could be construction or not. What cigar was that?
    It wasn't a case of smoking too fast if that's what you mean by hot. The initial bit of tar came oozing out after a handful of puffs. I did contact the manufacturer asking them the same question I asked above because I do have a few more of these and would like to enjoy the next one or at least be able to finish it. Their reply is below. Left out the name because I'm not trying to tear down the brand in a public forum. I was just looking for advice. Based on their reply it seems like I may have just gotten a bad stick, but I will definitely be dry boxing the next one.

"Hi Eric,

Thanks for your email. The ***** wrapper is a very oil wrapper, and due to its concentration from the belicoso head, a tar build up is possible (like any other maduro type cigar), its apart of the cigar. This is the first time someone has come forward with a build up like that. Something like this is not typical of *****, so another cigar shouldn't have a problem.

If this happens again, please alert us immediately and we will see what we can do.

Cheers"
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Gray4lines:
    It wasn't a case of smoking too fast if that's what you mean by hot. The initial bit of tar came oozing out after a handful of puffs. I did contact the manufacturer asking them the same question I asked above because I do have a few more of these and would like to enjoy the next one or at least be able to finish it. Their reply is below. Left out the name because I'm not trying to tear down the brand in a public forum. I was just looking for advice. Based on their reply it seems like I may have just gotten a bad stick, but I will definitely be dry boxing the next one.

"Hi Eric,

Thanks for your email. The ***** wrapper is a very oil wrapper, and due to its concentration from the belicoso head, a tar build up is possible (like any other maduro type cigar), its apart of the cigar. This is the first time someone has come forward with a build up like that. Something like this is not typical of *****, so another cigar shouldn't have a problem.

If this happens again, please alert us immediately and we will see what we can do.

Cheers"
    Nice to get a response. I don't expect a replacement stick when things go wrong. Stuff happens, and I hope that these work for you going forward. The last tar experience I had was also with a Belicoso. That was from a brand that shares my initials, and I've had another blend of theirs which posed no problems. Good luck!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had this happen once or twice. It has been awhile but it absolutely ruined the cigar for me. I do think they where darker wrappers or maduros that it happened on. Outside of that I dont think there where any other circumstances that would have caused it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no wasn't faulting your smoking. Sometimes too tight of a roll can cause a tight draw and overheating even with a slow pace... the cigar just gets real squishy. oily tobacco sounds plausible to me perhaps. I hope the next goes better. I asked about brand because from what it looks like it isn't a cheap stick...
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've had tar on many cigars over the years and I still can't make rhyme or reason out of it. I haven't noticed a pattern or any criteria that would lead me to ever anticipate when it happens. I certainly smoke lots of oily cigars without it happening (as do we all) so my best guess is that it is a bunch of factors coming together in one unfortunate cigar. I've never had it happen to an ISOM, though, so there's that.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I've had tar on many cigars over the years and I still can't make rhyme or reason out of it. I haven't noticed a pattern or any criteria that would lead me to ever anticipate when it happens. I certainly smoke lots of oily cigars without it happening (as do we all) so my best guess is that it is a bunch of factors coming together in one unfortunate cigar. I've never had it happen to an ISOM, though, so there's that.
    +1
    It's happened to me a handful of times, which given the number of cigars I've smoked, is statistically irrelevant. Oddly enough, it just happened a few days ago, on a Four Kicks Sublime, after about 5 or 6 puffs.

Never had any issues with any Four Kicks Sublime, or other Four Kicks vitolas, prior to that one.
    No idea what causes it. It is annoying.

After re-cutting, I smoke them (tar cigars) a bit differently. I put the cigar in my mouth just a bit more, and keep my lips and tongue off the head, and puff a bit shorter/lighter, with slightly increased frequency (just so it won't go out)

It works well enough.................but not always...............sometimes you just got to toss them.