Home Pipes

What type or brand of pipe should I get?

Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
I must admit I know zero about a good pipe or junk. I thought about exploring the pipe world a bit. Can say 60-70 buy a decent pipe?

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pm you some info on a deal that's happening now. A lot of people like to start with a cob so that you can see if you like it before spending more money, you could get a cob a pipe tool and some tobacco for $25 or even less. You can find some good smoking pipes in the $30 - $70 range some B&M's carry 'Italian' pipes in this range.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I got a 35-ish dollar pipe from a local tobacco shop. Most places don't sell actual pipe tobacco though. A lot of things listed as "pipe" tobacco are such as to dodge certain tobacco laws. It's just re-cut rolling tobacco that is meant to be used as rolling tobacco. The rite-aid here sells a "Virginia Gold" Vanilla Black Cavendish that I like. It's like 20 bucks a bag, but it's pretty tasty.

I have a D-Brand Pipe, it's worked well for me, the only thing I did was remove the filter. In mine it really constricted airflow. I've been smoking pipe for about 4 years now and I've kept the cheap one because it works and I've kept it in really good shape.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently bought a Stanwell, that I love. Barracini, LaRocca, and Bjarne all sell very affordable pipes that smoke well. Of course, if money's no object, you can get right out there and spend 4 - 500 $ right quick. It's worth remembering, too, that a decent pipe should last you for decades of regular use.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    If money is an issue, go to a local tobacco shop and find a "D-Brand" pipe, they are cheap, but I have smoked out of more than a few of them. All of them are decent, I have a D-Brand bent pipe for my "keeper". As I stated earlier, it's decent. I prefer the look of the bend, it's the reason I got it.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Go with mt!! Mitchell Thompson they are cheap and well constructed. Personally you can't go wrong and if you kill it you won't feel too bad about it
    Money can't buy taste
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I went with a couple of cobs when I got started. I found that more often than I'm grabbing a cigar if I have time to smoke so I'm glad I didn't invest too much
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Color changing ones are kind of cool.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman said:
    I went with a couple of cobs when I got started. I found that more often than I'm grabbing a cigar if I have time to smoke so I'm glad I didn't invest too much
    I just bought a cob as well. Should come on soon.