Home Cigar 101

Large Humidor Seasoning

I just purchased my first large humidor. I bought the Montegue End Table Humidor and the Cigar Oasis Plus Humidifier. I got it all set up and its already sitting at 70% humidity. I live near the Gulf coast in Texas so it tends to be pretty humid here anyway. I need advise on seasoning it. I have used smaller humidors and the boveda packs worked very well but this should hold 1500 sticks and that's a lot of boveda packs. Any one have any suggestions?

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can season using the oasis, just set it and let it sit for about a week.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Just set the Oasis at 70% or should I adjust it higher?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might want to set it at a little higher to season.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Thank you for the info Patrickbrick I really appreciate it! I don't want to mess this thing up!
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For seasoning if you set it a little above 70 you should be ok. It might be worth keeping it a little lower than 70% once it is seasoned especially if your climate is very humid. You might just have to play with it see what you like for a humidity.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Thanks avengethis, good info!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Patience, patience, patience. Let it come up by itself and wait, may take some time to stabilize, maybe a couple of weeks to get into the wood. Rushing it could cause damage. That's all I got.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nice setup!! Yeah, just set that oasis to where you want and wait a little while. Take a pic when you fill it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Patience, patience, patience. Let it come up by itself and wait, may take some time to stabilize, maybe a couple of weeks to get into the wood. Rushing it could cause damage. That's all I got.

By rubbing do you mean humi-wipes? I use them the first time I season a new humidor and it works great for me. Never had a problem. Kinda ring it out before I use it, and cover every inch of exposed cedar. After a day I start adding gel and bring it to the point I want and start adding cigars. After about a week I start making adjustments because new cigars usually cause the RH to go up.
    jd50ae:
    The3Stogies:

By rubbing do you mean humi-wipes? I use them the first time I season a new humidor and it works great for me. Never had a problem. Kinda ring it out before I use it, and cover every inch of exposed cedar. After a day I start adding gel and bring it to the point I want and start adding cigars. After about a week I start making adjustments because new cigars usually cause the RH to go up.
    Forget your reading glasses this morning JD? I think it says rushing it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    jd50ae:
    The3Stogies:

As a matter of fact I did not have them on.......and had not had any coffee....and I am old....I feel so ashamed.
    jd50ae:
    avengethis:
    jd50ae:
    The3Stogies:

As a matter of fact I did not have them on.......and had not had any coffee....and I am old....I feel so ashamed.
    I'll let it slide this time sir. But in all seriousness I have abandoned the wiping method and just gone for the slow and steady bowl of distilled water in the bottom. Yeah it might take me 2-3 weeks to get it stabilized but I'm not risking any warping of the wood/seals.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    oh hey good info guys! expendable and I just bought a beastly 5000 count humidor trunk thing and was wondering the same thing. I used wipes on my very first humidor and it warped the top tray thing and left little "hairs" all throughout my box. not doing that again. my second humidor, I just put in a humidifier and a shotglass of cigarjuice and waited a week. worked great, and no stupid friggin hairs :D for the trunk, we decided to go with active humidification, but we weren't really sure what to set the humidity to for seasoning. I guess we'll just have to wait it out at 70%. thanks again!
    SecretSquirrel:
    oh hey good info guys! expendable and I just bought a beastly 5000 count humidor trunk thing and was wondering the same thing. I used wipes on my very first humidor and it warped the top tray thing and left little "hairs" all throughout my box. not doing that again. my second humidor, I just put in a humidifier and a shotglass of cigarjuice and waited a week. worked great, and no stupid friggin hairs :D for the trunk, we decided to go with active humidification, but we weren't really sure what to set the humidity to for seasoning. I guess we'll just have to wait it out at 70%. thanks again!
    My guess is with the Active system it will help that wood pick up the moisture quicker with the air circulation. You could probably also put a large pan of water in there as well to provide extra surface area of moisture to help encourage the process.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!