Home Cigar 101
Options

Under/over humidified

How can you tell whether a cigar is over or under humidified?

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Over humidified cigars to to taste harsher and have trouble staying lit. They also feel different some tent to feel softer and spongy.
    Under humidified cigars are a stark contrast... they can be tasteless, hard, and burn much quicker.
    Both introduce burn issues and wrapper trouble...
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Stephen touched on the key points. I myself agree, but have experienced under/over humidified cigars that exhibit the traits commonly associated with the opposite condition. The best way, IMO is the maintain a constant temperature and humidity in your humidor. As long as the sticks have been allowed to rest in their long enough to equalize, you will know your sticks are not under or over humidified.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

Lots of good advice posted above

I'd like to add that the only proper way to correct a humidity problem is by letting the cigar sit in a humidor (a quality one, I'd hope) with proper humidification and a good calibrated hygrometer. Even a dry or humid cigar will adjust over time to the proper humidity level.

Keep in mind that some cigars tend to smoke better when a little dry. More so for oily cigars, like some Cubans or the 5 Vegas Relic, which are stronger and more oily.

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    camgfs:

I'd like to add that the only proper way to correct a humidity problem is by letting the cigar sit in a humidor (a quality one, I'd hope) with proper humidification and a good calibrated hygrometer. Even a dry or humid cigar will adjust over time to the proper humidity level.

Keep in mind that some cigars tend to smoke better when a little dry. More so for oily cigars, like some Cubans or the 5 Vegas Relic, which are stronger and more oily.

Indeed. A good case for dry boxing ;)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    One2gofst:
    camgfs:

Indeed. A good case for dry boxing ;)

You know a dry box ...err...never mind ;)
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I have found that at least a few weeks of rest is a must if I want to be sure a stick will be equalized enough to smoke well. I have been too hasty a few times and regretted it. On the other hand I have pulled some straight out of the mail and they were fine. Best not to gamble with a good stick and just give them some time IMO. It's all part of the learning curve for newbies like myself :^)