Home General Discussion

Where Do Retailers Get Their Cigars???

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
So I'm posting this in the hopes that maybe one of the guys on here (Vince maybe?) that might own shops or be in-the-know can help out...

Where do B&Ms get their sticks? I haven't really been able to find much in the way of distribution centers, and I can't seem to find links to any local brand representatives. My in-laws own two restaurants and are interested in providing cigars for sale. I know a B&M in town that manages contracts with some restaurants to provide their cigars, but to be honest, they're kinda **** and I'm kinda trying to corner their market - I just don't know where to get my hands on sticks. Anybody know whether it would be legal to buy sticks from Ccom or other online sites and re-sell them? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Me thinks the tax man of your state would not be happy if you bought from CCOM and resold at the restaurant.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    TheShaun:
    Me thinks the tax man of your state would not be happy if you bought from CCOM and resold at the restaurant.
    That's what I think too, but it seems like every internet retailer advertises themselves as "wholesale sellers". This makes it hard to find a legitimate place to buy what I'm looking for. I'm not looking to break any laws or evade any taxes with this; I'm just having a hard time figuring out the appropriate avenues to take.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my research I have found that my local B&Ms buy directly from the manufacturer. I have spoken to many people and this seems to be prevalent in the cigar industry especially if you want to have competitive prices.

A true wholesaler is Santa Clara Inc. Before you can even see their prices they will require you fax or mail the proper business and tax licenses for your state. They will not give you any info on pricing or shipping until then.

I have been following a few big names in the cigar biz on Twitter. From what I have been gathering from them they seem to sell directly and spend lots of time face to face with people.
    Hmm...this is kinda what I figured Jake, but I haven't been able to find direct contact information for anybody. Seems like my only choice is the general "Contact Us" section....?

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have actually given some thought to being a regional sales rep for cigars and was wondering if they had anything like that. i came from the car audio biz where no one is manufacturer direct and everyone has reps. sounds like they are the opposite. hmmmmm
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The cigar biz is probably one of the last "face to face" industries out there. I would defintiely try the contact button on the websites, they could probably give you the contact info for the rep in your area. Also, if you have any cigar events in your area, reps will usually be there and you can get in touch with them that way too.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays you can call Santa Clara but until you give them your documents you get no info. Website is http://www.santaclaracigars.com/ If you are in California they require you submit Sellers Permit & Tobacco Products Distributors License. If you get those you can get all the good info. I know that most big names we all know and like here have sales reps and sell face to face manufacturer to store. Smaller convenience stores and such might use a wholesaler that isn't really giving them any good deals and their prices are high. I have found several wholesalers and we can buy cheaper from online stores.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    dennisking:
    I have actually given some thought to being a regional sales rep for cigars and was wondering if they had anything like that. i came from the car audio biz where no one is manufacturer direct and everyone has reps. sounds like they are the opposite. hmmmmm
    This isnt correct. There are Alot of manufacturing direct companies who only deal with the Auto companies for their OEM car audio products.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Hays,

Cigar.com does offer much lower prices to retailers, but they also demand proof of license before showing you the prices. They actually operate under this website which you can find a link to under the "Info" section on the cigar.com website.

Meier Dutch

You can follow this link or just go to Cigar.com's homepage, click on "Info," the click on "Contact Us," then click on "Wholesale Accounts." Both will take you to the same place.
    clearlysuspect:
    Hays,

Cigar.com does offer much lower prices to retailers, but they also demand proof of license before showing you the prices. They actually operate under this website which you can find a link to under the "Info" section on the cigar.com website.

Meier Dutch

You can follow this link or just go to Cigar.com's homepage, click on "Info," the click on "Contact Us," then click on "Wholesale Accounts." Both will take you to the same place.
    Awesome! I'll have to check that out when I can get on the computer. I'd be more than happy to give my retail business to Ccom.

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the useful info.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    You can go directly to the manufacturer websites, many have contact info for distribution
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    clearlysuspect:
    Hays,

Meier Dutch

Awesome! I'll have to check that out when I can get on the computer. I'd be more than happy to give my retail business to Ccom.
    No problem. The only reason I know this is because a tobacco license is actually really cheap and easy to acquire in Maryland, so I've seriously considered getting my license so I can get super cheap prices and so I can "legally" sell my extras to the guys I work with.
    clearlysuspect:
    Hays:
    clearlysuspect:
    Hays,

Meier Dutch

No problem. The only reason I know this is because a tobacco license is actually really cheap and easy to acquire in Maryland, so I've seriously considered getting my license so I can get super cheap prices and so I can "legally" sell my extras to the guys I work with.
    It's very cheap and easy here too, but, at least here, you need more than the tobacco license to actually sell. You still need a business license and tax ID #, which are more complicated to get than the license.

As far as my purposes go, however, we're already good. It's an established business that already has those licenses and tax ID #s, so all we need to do is get the tobacco license and find a supplier.