Home General Discussion

Cancun/Riviera Maya

matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion

Taking a trip to Riviera Maya the end of June and the first thing I want to do when I get off the plane in Cancun is to load up with some good cigars.  Anyone have any experience/suggestions on where to go after I land?  Reputable dealers?

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO bring your own! Too much potential to get ripped off...plus most places don't even want you to leave the area your staying in. With being a tourist trap I'm gonna say everything will be marked up anyways
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do go shop somewhere look for an authorized La casa del Habano.  I am not sure if there's one close... but that would guarantee you aren't getting ripped off or worse buying fakes. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Yup. Been there many times and the previous posts are spot on. La Casa Del Habanos or bring your own. DO NOT buy any fakes on the beach (unless you want fakes). One of the hotels we stayed at had a Torceador (sp?) and his stuff was actually pretty good.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the suggestions.  I do plan on having a stash that I bring with me in case I cant find a decent place. 

You mean to tell me the Plexiglas boxes aren't real????  I am half way decent at spotting fakes, however not saying that I cant be fooled.  Didn't know if anyone had any good experiences while down there.  Would be pretty awesome if the resort had a Toreador.

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Take Lees advice. I went there 3 times in last 10 years.. Fakes galore! He'll even high end shops were fake Fuentes and $15 esplinados that were decently done fakes.. Guys said ( no man real all real good deal!) no grab ankle package for me I passed.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    On the bright side I just came back from there a couple months ago and I couldn't find a question about tobacco on the customs form anymore. I wish I would've bought more. Like everyone said La Casa Del Habanos or nothing else. 

La Casa del Habano
    Boulevard Kukulkan, Zona Hotelera 77500
    Cancún, Quintana Roo, Mexico
    +52 998 840 7000

Ain't cheap though, so bring some of your own.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

Dependent on where you are staying there's only two places I've seen for good forbidden fruit in Mexico.

1. What others have said, the LCDH is the only for sure way to know you are getting authentico.

2. I've stayed at a "DREAMS" resort and a "Gran Bahia Principe" and both had authentic cigars in their shops.  Expensive and not always the best kept, but looked good to me.

If you're wondering on prices, I was at the Gran Bahia Principe in Riviera Maya and a Monte No. 2 was $28 USD.  WAY overpriced, but when in Rome

(Also, this is my first post in the new forum.... been gone for quite some time just wanted to check things out.... gone but not forgotten... kinda like batman, always watching)

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. I think I will load up a stash to take with me and bypass the shops. Doesn't sound like it's really worth it to go out of my way when there is sun and sand to be had. 

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar said:

Dependent on where you are staying there's only two places I've seen for good forbidden fruit in Mexico.

1. What others have said, the LCDH is the only for sure way to know you are getting authentico.

2. I've stayed at a "DREAMS" resort and a "Gran Bahia Principe" and both had authentic cigars in their shops.  Expensive and not always the best kept, but looked good to me.

If you're wondering on prices, I was at the Gran Bahia Principe in Riviera Maya and a Monte No. 2 was $28 USD.  WAY overpriced, but when in Rome

(Also, this is my first post in the new forum.... been gone for quite some time just wanted to check things out.... gone but not forgotten... kinda like batman, always watching)

Good to see you around. Good info too; damn that is pricey, but I guess that is expected at a resort too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Mark...went to dominican last summer and lambert was easy.  Just put a smaller humidor in your checked baggage with your stash and put a note.  Hell i even brought a torch and butane.  Put a note that the lighter was bled dry and feel free to try and light it. I put duct tape to keep it sealed and the tape was cut and all was still there.  

Resort prices sucked at our resort.  I was really glad i brought my own stash.
    edited May 2015
    I have actually sent herf-a-does in checked baggage along with butane lighters and no note. They check it everytime and let it slide. I think I will go with matches and a full 15 ct with me. That should be good.