Home General Discussion

I Got a Gifted Fake - Now What?

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
Hi Humans, 

Today at work, a colleague who just came back from the Carib side of Mexico gifted me an 'authentic' Cuban Montecristo. 

I saw the box he opened it from (one of the plexi-glass top ones), and the cigar wrapper is in tough shape (rough wrapper, slightly lumpy roll, and also has a smallish tear), it has a mis-shaped cap, and faux banding (poor embossing, as well as a supplemental 'edicion limitada 2015' band). 

I graciously accepted the gift, because what arse-hat doesn't show kindness to one who does such a gesture?

I am absolutely *not* going to add it to my humi without freezing it first, that is if I keep it. 

And here is my quandary. 

Do I smoke it?

At worst, it is simply a mediocre cigar, right?

Should I throw it out? 

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance

-Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke it, the worst that happens is you pitch it. Can't blame a guy for try to give you something he thought was nice.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard about some gross findings when dissecting fake stuff. I would not smoke it. Cut it open.
    I agree with Charlie, it could be all tobacco, but why take the chance and smoke hair or worse.  
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take pics and add it to the fake Cuban thread. Then toss or freeze and never smoke it, lol
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I've got two fakies gifted from my in laws, that ive completely resurected from sitting in a fridge (I even got the fake box too!) Now they sit in my glassjar humi lookin like realzies
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard about some gross findings when dissecting fake stuff. I would not smoke it. Cut it open.
    I agree with Charlie, it could be all tobacco, but why take the chance and smoke hair or worse.  
    Yeah you should cut it open & see what's inside.

And look up the thread that @danielzreyes dissected a fake, he found some crazy stuff in his cigar..... 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    [SNIP]

I saw the box he opened it from (one of the plexi-glass top ones), and the cigar wrapper is in tough shape (rough wrapper, slightly lumpy roll, and also has a smallish tear), it has a mis-shaped cap, and faux banding (poor embossing, as well as a supplemental 'edicion limitada 2015' band). 

If I had to describe a cigar like this, it would go into the trash. 

I graciously accepted the gift, because what arse-hat doesn't show kindness to one who does such a gesture?

I would have thanked him for the gesture but also let him know that he got duped and there's a chance that those cigars may have some questionable shìt in them as well.

Enlightening and educating him is 100 times better than leading him to believe that questionably made cigar that is making contact with his lips is an authentic CC.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I would tell the guy you showed them to the guys on this forum and it was confirmed as fake. At least this way he won't get ripped of again and hopefully won't smoke something nasty and give up on something that could be great if it was real. If I were to give someone something fake and I had no idea I'd want to know
    Money can't buy taste
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not try to smoke it. You never know what is in there. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    Yeah you should cut it open & see what's inside.

And look up the thread that @danielzreyes dissected a fake, he found some crazy stuff in his cigar..... 
    Excuse me?!?! I don't do fakes, sir!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a confirmed fake, but enjoy seeing pics of what they are putting together.  Just make sure it is fake (DZR!!).   Your friend will probably smoke them and think they are the best thing he has ever had.  If you are not a cigar smoker and can not tell an obvious fake, odds are you do not know what a real Monte is supposed to taste like anyway.  A little hair and banana leaf never hurt anyone.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah do what DZR Does!!! Cut it open and take pics!!!! POST THEM!!! :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Take pics and add it to the fake Cuban thread. Then toss or freeze and never smoke it, lol
    I didn't know there is a fake cuban cigar thread. Where it's that and what it's it called?
    mmkuchi said:
    I didn't know there is a fake cuban cigar thread. Where it's that and what it's it called?

Any input is welcome!

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/864337/cuban-cigars-is-it-real-or-fake
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I went the way of the DZR and finally cut the faux-Cuban this morning.

I didn't find any hair, but did find a thin wrapper, 4 long leaf filler leaves, a massive stem, and a hard piece of wood. Surprisingly, the binder looked the best of all of the various leaves.

Apologies on the uber dryness of this one. I wasn't going to keep it in my humis because it was suspect as hell. It lived in a ziplock for 5 weeks or so...

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    That cap in the first pic.  Is that how it always looked?  :/
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real  B)
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gray4lines  Yep -- screams authentic to me! lol
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    How could anyone buy something that looked like that! Even as a noob you should really know better
    Money can't buy taste