Home Cigar 101

What is it about gurkha's?

Every Gurkha That I have smoked has something about it. I don't like this something, or dislike this something.. but it is distinctively gurkha, I have a hard time putting my finger on what this something is...Got any Ideas?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    they have a blending style.

some like it some dont.

they all have the same style even thought the flavor is different.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Kuzi pretty much summed it up. I agree Gurkha's in general are pretty distinctive. The funny thing is I like about half of the Gurkha's I've tried so far. Even though they have that common element, it works on some cigars for me and not so much on others. To me it seems there may be a few that don't quite have that "something" though. The one that comes to mind is the micro batch C-10.
  • I always figured it was their marketing style that brings them the love.
  • havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    The Micro Batch S2 is one of my favorites lately, but I agree that most Gurkhas seem to have an "exotic" flavor, but not memorable. A great marketing angle by continually coming up with new blends and great names for them. Generally overpriced, and after trying 12-15 different cigars in the line, I've had enough.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

Gurkha has only been available to me for a short time, but I have tried a few. The first, a "Gurkha Black Puro" had such a tight draw and kept going out that I was sorry I ever bought them (but the taste was great). Up next was a Gurka Centurion, or something like that. It was fantastic, and I could already tell there was something different about how a Gurkha tastes. I got brave enough to try another Black Puro, and this time it was terrific! The draw problem was gone, and no relights. I've had 2 others that I don't even remember their names, but they were just ok.

I do agree that they are pricy, but if/when you get a good stick, they are great.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had a lot of their stuff and most of them do have a similar taste to them. Some don't but many do. Some of the one's I think differ would be the beast, beauty, titan, red dragon, maqueza
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hansotia spits in all of them... and he's a heavy clove and Kim Chee eater...
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:

I get it know!! "Gurkha" isn't the brand, it's the sound of Hansotia clearing his throat to infuse his greatness in to the blend!!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Hey guys, I have about 30 Gurkhas for trade, Some Titans, Beauties, Beasts, Regents, Legends, Triples, and a few Micros. Any reasonable offer accepted. (jk)..
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Lasabar:

I get it know!! "Gurkha" isn't the brand, it's the sound of Hansotia clearing his throat to infuse his greatness in to the blend!!
    Actually "Gurkha" is like the Asian version of "OOPA" where instead of smashing plates on the ground Asian's will actually do math...
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    camgfs:

Gurkha has only been available to me for a short time, but I have tried a few. The first, a "Gurkha Black Puro" had such a tight draw and kept going out that I was sorry I ever bought them (but the taste was great). Up next was a Gurka Centurion, or something like that. It was fantastic, and I could already tell there was something different about how a Gurkha tastes. I got brave enough to try another Black Puro, and this time it was terrific! The draw problem was gone, and no relights. I've had 2 others that I don't even remember their names, but they were just ok.

I agree with you on the Black Puros. The first one I had was great. The second had an insanely tight draw.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seriously have never had a bad Gurkha. Saying that though I will admit to having many burn issues with them that I do not experience with other brands. That does bother me but it does not take away from the cigar itself being fantastic. You guys do know when I finally get a bad one my entire world will shatter! JK

If anyone has Gurkhas to trade let me know. I am always looking for ones I haven't tried.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Some love 'em , some hate 'em, but I too have liked every one that I tried. I still have many, and would gladly light one any day. And will continue to buy them. Check the daily deal today. I am about to pick up more. (the shorty Beauty Maduro is the gem in that deal !) I like the smaller version of these.
    ccom's checkout is screwed up! .... eh might just have to call...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    ccom's checkout is screwed up! .... eh might just have to call...

somebody said it had a squirrels tail hung in it !!!
    lol...
    kaspera79:
    Some love 'em , some hate 'em, but I too have liked every one that I tried. I still have many, and would gladly light one any day. And will continue to buy them. Check the daily deal today. I am about to pick up more. (the shorty Beauty Maduro is the gem in that deal !) I like the smaller version of these.
    but are they really better than the normal beauty? I mean I just hate to get this due to a maduro wrapper, but if it brings on a whole new flavor than sure...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the answer but I DO know that I've liked every Gurkha I've tried so far. Haven't tried 'em all (too d**m many kinds) but I've liked 'em all so far.

Had a Beast yesterday at our regular Saturday herf and thought it was very good. The CigarCyclopedia lists the Beast as full-bodied but it's one of the smoothest full-bodied smokes I've had. Quite tasty, indeed.

Marty

jlmarta:
    I don't know the answer but I DO know that I've liked every Gurkha I've tried so far. Haven't tried 'em all (too d**m many kinds) but I've liked 'em all so far.

Had a Beast yesterday at our regular Saturday herf and thought it was very good. The CigarCyclopedia lists the Beast as full-bodied but it's one of the smoothest full-bodied smokes I've had. Quite tasty, indeed.

Marty

The beast is one of my favorite cigars.