Home Ratings & Reviews

obsidian black label

SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭

so I have listened to expendable and eulogy quite a bit over the course of my cigar smoking days, as our tastes are, for the most part, generally aligned. I remember them both talking about the obsidian one day, and how bad of an experience it was for them. they even put it on their least favorite cigars top 5 list, and it was winning. then one day, (today) I get a rather nice hit from @usaf06 and it had one in there. I've never tried it before, but from what my buddies have said, I must admit that my expectations weren't very high.

so as I was procrastinating finishing up my final paper for one of my classes, I decided to give it a shot. and honestly, I was pleasantly surprised! it didn't taste like a pile of burning dirt like expendable likes to describe it. it was actually kind of good! I did get some faint earthy tones, with quite a bit of spice in the beginning. but it also has a really nice sweet flavor to it on the back end. towards the middle, the spice seems almost non-existent anymore, and the earthy tones also seem to fade, but the sweetness becomes more apparent, plus a nice woodsy flavor arose. the thing smokes like a champ! perfect draw, clean burn, and ample smoke output.

so in conclusion, even if someone tells you something is hot garbage, give it a shot, you might be surprised! maybe the ones they had were bad sticks. dunno. all I know is that this one was great. thanks @usaf06 for the new experience!

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion this cigar ages very well.  With rest these are quite good, again this just my opinion.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the conclusion, one mans trash is another mans treasure. I got an Obsid black form one of us forum guys (jgibv?) not sure how long it had rested but it was a great stick!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent you one Smokey and the white also
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had it in the 4x60 size and it was terrible. Could just be the very large ring gauge that made it taste terrible, I don't know.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried one about 2 yrs. back and was not impressed at all, I  think I have another one from the same purchase, I may dig it out and see if it's any better with some rest.  
  • SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    the one I had was a pretty large size. I think 6x60 gordo.. at least that's what it seemed like. it was a beast
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the one I had was a pretty large size. I think 6x60 gordo.. at least that's what it seemed like. it was a beast
    6.5 by 56 I believe
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I got the sampler box of these soon after they came out, maybe back in 2012 ?? 

Don't remember them being bad by any means ....

But I don't remember them being too impressive ROTT either. 
    Now, let them rest for a year or two or more and you got yourself a nice little smoke IMO, especially for the price point.

I think I liked the robusto and perfecto the best.  IIRC there was a lancero too, don't know if I ever smoked it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Usaf06 said:
    I got one awhile ago , from jgibv i think, which is why im looking forward to smoking the ones you sent! ;p
    It was really really good with some age on it
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SM0K3Y said:
    Usaf06 said:
    I got one awhile ago , from jgibv i think, which is why im looking forward to smoking the ones you sent! ;p
    any obsidians i sent you would've been from back in 2012-ish.....so 2+ years humi time.  good stuff

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Secret gave me a couple of puffs off of his and it was a different experience. The one I had taste like someone was burning dirt with a butane torch and I was huffing what came off of it. I still didn't care for it that much, but it was at least smokable.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the perfecto, but not enough to buy any more. I recall them burning real wonky.  That may have caused a funky taste if it wasn't burning well or too young??

I tried them around when they came out too, haven't had one in years.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I first remember receiving a few of the Obsidians in some of my early trades and bombs from other members and I don't entirely recall my initial impressions but, I believe I must have enjoyed them well enough at the time because I ended up buying a ten pack (I think) about two years back (I think) on the sprint sale (I guess). The robusto 5&1/2" x 54. (That's actually more like a toro right?) I remember trying a couple of the ten pack back then and they were good but, the main thing I recall was that they were a little harsh and maybe strong with the nicotine. I have bombed/traded some away but, tonight, this morning (yes, I'm still up) I rummaged around in my least visited cooler looking for something or anything that caught my eye and I found a few of them remaining. Also, I remembered this recent thread so, I fired one up. It's much smoother now. Even my partial retro-hale method is resulting in an enjoyable smooth sensation. And, for me it has a subtle, dry finish. I wish I could separate and describe flavors as well as some of you guys but I don't seem to translate very well into words what my palate is experiencing so I will just say that personally, I'm liking these much, much better after two years rest. If any of you happen to get a five pack or ten pack or a box, try some when they are new to see what you think of them, then put the rest of them away for a long nap. If you have the space, money, and time to invest, they will provide notable dividends IMHO.  
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Secret gave me a couple of puffs off of his and it was a different experience. The one I had taste like someone was burning dirt with a butane torch and I was huffing what came off of it. I still didn't care for it that much, but it was at least smokable.
    Prior to this Obsidian, there was another.  You're now talking about the Obsidian available at this time?  The band covers most of the cigar, right?  There was an Obsidian, made by 5-Vegas,(maybe?) I think, and it was dry, harsh, bitter, and didn't burn well.  Is it possible that your original impressions were of that cigar?  I think production stopped around 2010, but you may have picked them up somewhere, sitting dusty on a back shelf.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prior to this Obsidian, there was another.  You're now talking about the Obsidian available at this time?  The band covers most of the cigar, right?  There was an Obsidian, made by 5-Vegas,(maybe?) I think, and it was dry, harsh, bitter, and didn't burn well.  Is it possible that your original impressions were of that cigar?  I think production stopped around 2010, but you may have picked them up somewhere, sitting dusty on a back shelf.
    I think your talking about this one 
    The cigar above is similar to the black and also, to me good with time on it.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe.  The one I think I remember simply had a narrow band that said Obsidian.  But it has been awhile.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It had the full length band and was just awful.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am smoking one of these right now, courtesey of @matkn293

This fine specimen is well aged, dated on the cello 8-1-13.  Thank you Mark!!

This thing is very good, smooth as silk, and I definitely am picking up a earth flavor, and cream?  I can't describe it obviously, but it is good.  My Hi Skewl Diploma dint gimme fancy werds......

I have a few of these I bought only 2 months ago.  From what I am reading here, I should let them rest another 6-10 months, eh?  Damn...   :'(
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Zee black is good
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:

This thing is very good, smooth as silk, and I definitely am picking up a earth flavor, and cream?  I can't describe it obviously, but it is good.  My Hi Skewl Diploma dint gimme fancy werds......
    Whelp, fancy words or no, what you wrote sounds damn good! Might have to nab a fiver and let 'em go to sleep for a while.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I nabbed 2 fivers.  ;)

now, can I hold off for 6 months, that is the big question. LOL 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293