Home Cigar 101
Options

Boveda vs heartfelt

bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
whats everyone's thoughts on these as far as humidification for larger containers? I'm looking at humidification ideas for the end table I'm turning into a humidor. I have heartfelt beads I'm using in my cooler and have no issues but dont know much about Boveda packs. Is one easier/better than the other to use? 

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO boveda packs take up less space then beads on the other hand beads are easier to recharge. Both can get pricey but really you can go wrong with either product
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    I figured I couldn't go wrong either way. I've been leaning towards boveda packs because of the less space. Thanks for the input 
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use boveda packs, they take up no space and keep my coolers holding steady.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you need to conserve space,.......Boveda. 
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Did Heartfelt and had no problems at all.  Then someone posted a thread on how their cigar aroma, and cedar, was not as strong when they opened their humi.  I love that smell when I open my humi's.  They changed to Boveda and the aroma's returned, so I did the same.  Did seem to work, so I stuck with Boveda.  Both work great though.
  • Options
    jsnblnchrdjsnblnchrd Posts: 33
    Boveda all the way.  It takes all the guess work out of it.  And remember you can recharge them too like the beads (but cheaper since they use distilled water).  You may need quite a few of them depending on the size of this humi though.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'll be going with Boveda
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't gotten the Boveda packs because I didn't think they could be recharged.  How do you do it?  And can you keep recharging them?

I think I would much rather used the packs than the beads if I can recharge them.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use beads in my cooler and it smells like a humi when I open it.  I have a couple cedar trays and wood boxes in mine though which definitely probably helps.  You really can't go wrong with boveda or beads.  I just prefer the beads.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    YankeeMan said:
    I hadn't gotten the Boveda packs because I didn't think they could be recharged.  How do you do it?  And can you keep recharging them?

I think I would much rather used the packs than the beads if I can recharge them.
    I just bought a box of 20 or 24 and always have some stored in a container with a bowl of distilled water. Then just trade them out when the ones in your cooler or humi start getting a little crunchy.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My beads and my Boveda packs have absorbed all the water they can and are waterlogged. Real high humidity here and it was getting to wet inside my humidors. I put the beads on the dashboard of my truck and after two days in the sun they were dry and started to pull excess moisture out of my humidor. My Boveda packs (69) are plump and full. Should I try the dashboard deal on the Boveda or it there a gentler way of pulling moisture from them?
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dash might be a bit extreme for the Boveda, I haven't had this particular problem but I did overfill one of the Humi-care jell humidifiers once, I didn't feel like waiting a week (or two) to get all the balls back in the case so I spread em out and set a small fan blowing across them, took about 8-9 hrs.  

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @First_Warrior It might be worth looking into Kitty litter to help pull moisture out.  Once the kitty litter absorbs moisture you can toss it in the oven or microwave to quickly pull out moisture to put it back in. 

The exact way to do this you would have to ask somebody who uses KL but I know it can and is done by those who do use it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White