Home Cigar 101

New project

bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a side table that I plan on turning into a humidor and have a few questions. Do I need to apply a sealer on the current wood before placing Spanish cedar over it? Then I know I need to caulk all the edges, is there a certain kind I should use? And then as far as attaching the Spanish cedar what's the best way?  Glue or stainless steel nails? The door seems to have a little give when closed and I planned on using some weather stripping to make it tighter. 

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Yes, you want to seal the inside before you add your cedar. I can't really tell from the picture if it has a finish or not the bottom looks like it might. You can use urethane or lacquer if you want, you just have to allow it to fully cure, lacquer will take about a week and the urethane needs at least 2 weeks. The last couple I have done I used a liquid rubber membrane, the main advantage's of this are that the cure time is 1-2 days not weeks also the membrane can be used for the adhesive, I brush or roll on 3-4 coats and allow to dry then when I apply the finial coat simply press the cedar into the wet membrane this can be used to seal the corners also. As for the door I make an overlapping **** with the cedar (like a humi lid)
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for info. Can the liquid rubber membrane be found at Lowes or Home Depot?
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

Lowes, it's Mapie waterproofing membrane. It's in the tile  department.

I'm not sure why the word f.lange was edited out 

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey bert, nice collection of pucks!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Lowes, it's Mapie waterproofing membrane. It's in the tile  department.

I'm not sure why the word f.lange was edited out 

Thanks

jarubla said:
    Hey bert, nice collection of pucks!

-Jay
    Thanks. They're all my Blues autos. Don't have a display case yet so they just sit on the end table
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your handles are in the works. I will let you know as I hear from them. I will try to remember to check on them tomorrow or Friday. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

matkn293 said:
    Your handles are in the works. I will let you know as I hear from them. I will try to remember to check on them tomorrow or Friday. 
    Awesome thanks! That's another project I need to get started on. If only it would stop raining so I could do the sanding outside.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bert, are you planning on some lights in there?  Some LED strip lights, the ones like tape on a reel would work great.  A wall-wart with the right volts/amps would drive them fine.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Bert, are you planning on some lights in there?  Some LED strip lights, the ones like tape on a reel would work great.  A wall-wart with the right volts/amps would drive them fine.
    I thought a little about lights but didn't put to much into it. I may look more into it as it is a bit dark inside
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can discuss at our next herf if you like. Be CAREFUL with the SC when cutting and sanding. Respirators and a vacuum!if you need any tools or anything let me know. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

matkn293 said:
    We can discuss at our next herf if you like. Be CAREFUL with the SC when cutting and sanding. Respirators and a vacuum!if you need any tools or anything let me know. 
    Sounds like a plan. I'm sure there will be tools I'll need to borrow, I don't have to many yet.