Home General Discussion

About Camacho Pre-Embargo

mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
Anyone tried one? How's that? It did mention that this is a very limited line, just like the Amarda which would just be a one-time release and when it's gone it is gone. However, I searched online, and found it was released in year 2010 (someone was smoking this in 2010). As a very rare cigar, till 2015 which is five years after its release, its supply still lasts; this doesn't sound that right to me...

Comments

• jsnblnchrdjsnblnchrd Posts: 33
    I've never had it myself (although I'm very interested in it).  And I assume you're asking because of the weekend blitz deal.  Here's an idea:  go in halves with a buddy.  This way, when you smoke one and find you don't like it, you really only lost $25.  Here's why.  A single stick is $25.  Half of the deal is $50.  So it's like paying for 2 sticks and getting the other 3 for free.  And if you end up loving it, well then you got a hell of deal!!
  • mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I've never had it myself (although I'm very interested in it).  And I assume you're asking because of the weekend blitz deal.  Here's an idea:  go in halves with a buddy.  This way, when you smoke one and find you don't like it, you really only lost $25.  Here's why.  A single stick is $25.  Half of the deal is $50.  So it's like paying for 2 sticks and getting the other 3 for free.  And if you end up loving it, well then you got a hell of deal!!
    Yeah....it all started from the weekend blitz; it sounds epic: "pre-embargo cuban tobacco". But I really doubt its credit because to me it only sounds like marketing tactics like those used on the MOW Armada and Diesel Wicked.

And also its price really confused me: 20 bucks down to 10 bucks; I've never seen a ESG or VSG going that deep discount. If the original price is what it really is worth, I don't think any retailers will throw in discount. The only reason for throwing in discount is because it really don't worth that much; so might be so in this case. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a few fivers of this cigar around a year and a half ago (not from ccom).  They were a good price so I figured why not.  My tastes being what they are did not find these to be very enjoyable, however I have spoken to a few people around here whom have enjoyed them.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    I picked up a few fivers of this cigar around a year and a half ago (not from ccom).  They were a good price so I figured why not.  My tastes being what they are did not find these to be very enjoyable, however I have spoken to a few people around here whom have enjoyed them.
    Thanks for the input!
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Please remember that with some brands (like ESG & VSG as you mentioned) don't allow discounts to the level as other blends..there is lots of restrictions when it comes to discounts.

That being said, I really like the deal and wish I could get it. I'm in the process of closing on a house, so my buying has stopped for the time being.  I've not been disappointed by any pre embargos I've had. Very solid stick..the price point is based on the fact that it is made from tobaccos preserved before that went into affect. That makes it rare in a sense..and legal to sell. 
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a very good stick IMO it's not the typical Camacho profile though. I pulled the trigger on this deal earlier today then pulled one out of the humi for an after diner smoke. It's spicy, musty sweet earth with some leather and nuts. As far as I know there is a piece of Cuban tobacco in there somewhere, IDK the wrapper gives it a unique spice and the blend is complex enough to keep me interested to the nub. 

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    With a touch of rest I was extremely impressed with the ones I've had. My experiences with the stick weren't very spicy, but I let them rest 8-12 months. I did get leather, roasted peanuts, and a chewiness like fresh baked bread. Definitely different from any other Camacho I've ever had.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite Camacho's as well.
  • SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    I would agree that these don't seem to be very rare, as every cigar site appears to have them, and in large enough quantities to sell at a discount. im not entirely sure how much actual pre-embargo Cuban tobacco is in it. but if you only use a tiny little bit, supplies will last for quite a long time. either way, I picked mine up at a very reasonable price, and I really enjoy them. the weekend blitz deal is a great pricepoint to buy at, although I found mine even cheaper :3
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like them not for the Cuban tobacco but the wrapper is really nice. You can find them cheaper but it's a hassle so if you have the money then why not? They age very well but burn fast IMO but for ten a stick it's a good deal
    Money can't buy taste
  • wheel366wheel366 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had one of these in a while but I remember them not WOW'ing me.  And I got most of mine for about $10/ea when they were 3 for $30.  They have been around for a while.  I want to say that they were released in mid 2000s  Maybe 2005 or 2006?.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERDICT: :+1:  BUY :+1: 

These are one of the now discontinued camacho lines, if you want to try them, or have had them before and like them....i would say go for it because they're no longer in production. 

They were blended by Eiora back when he was still with the company and I believe they were released in the late 2000s. 

As far as how much "pre-embargo" tobacco is actulaly in the blend, the jury's still out on that one and I've never seen any official statements on it. 

"Pre-embargo" marketing buzzwords aside, I really enjoy this smoke and think it's a very very solid cigar.  If you liked the old Camachos, this is a must try IMO. 

The original MSRP was wayyyy too high IMO, but these are a very solid smoke and $10 is a fair price if you ask me. 
    (If you could find them for less, that'd be a steal....and I wouldn't pay more than $15 for one of these) 

I still have maybe a half dozen of these in my humi for a couple years back. 
    I consider them a "special occasion" smoke. 

If my "fun" budget hadn't already been spent on a few trips this summer, I'd probably pick up another 10 or 20 of these. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    wheel366 said:
    I haven't had one of these in a while but I remember them not WOW'ing me.  And I got most of mine for about $10/ea when they were 3 for $30.  They have been around for a while.  I want to say that they were released in mid 2000s  Maybe 2005 or 2006?.
    I feel these are a bit over-hyped. Sure they are a decent cigar, but they have been sold as "when they are gone" for a long time. They may have Pre-Embargo tobacco tobacco but how much really and what makes that so great?  I am not thrilled.  I have a few left with age on them, but they are not the Holy Grail to me. And has anyone noticed these things burn rather quickly.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As John mentioed, the PE's are discontinued. I'd assume any deals are to eliminate the left overs and they won't be around for too long.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    As John mentioed, the PE's are discontinued. I'd assume any deals are to eliminate the left overs and they won't be around for too long.
    I would agree with Kasper, I really think it's just over-hyped. Even it's going to be gone, I don't think I will get any.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    First post on the new format I think.

The P/E is a solid stick with some age on it.  I am smoking one right now with about 2-3 years on it.

They tend to be a bit soft, and I am not sure a Cuban has even farted in the general vicinity of them, but good nonetheless.

They are a solid $10 stick. If I paid $25 I would not be a happy camper.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Solid cigar.  Story and tobacco is legit.  I saw the bale myself.  Was moved from Ohio to Honduras.  This same bale graced some camacho liberty cigars years back.  Re pricing, we try to price them where camacho wants us to but sometimes we get a big delivery and need to trim it down.