Home Cigar 101

cigar sizes

I have a silly question. The ring sizes and cigar length on cigars, if you go from a 52 to a 54 ring and alength of 6in to 6.5 in will that make the cigar harder to smoke? I am kinda of new to the cigar world,been trying all sorts of cigars to try & find the ones I like. can anyone help?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    psd104:
    I have a silly question. The ring sizes and cigar length on cigars, if you go from a 52 to a 54 ring and alength of 6in to 6.5 in will that make the cigar harder to smoke? I am kinda of new to the cigar world,been trying all sorts of cigars to try & find the ones I like. can anyone help?
    ... harder to smoke, no way. At say 60 ring gauge I find it a little awkward but I still manage to get through it ;}
  • well I guess its the cigar then. they are not that cheap of a cigar but have went through 1 return don't feel like returning again.Thanks so much
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sometimes the cigar just isn't rolled very well which can lead to a tough draw if it is rolled too tight. If you can't draw through the cigar, you can try taking a wire coat hanger and using a straightened part to poke into the cigar, sometimes this will fix the draw.
  • From size to size, the draw of a cigar shouldn't actually change. Some people like tighter draws and some like looser draws but the length and ring guage shouldn't have anything to do with the draw.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    j0z3r:
    Sometimes the cigar just isn't rolled very well which can lead to a tough draw if it is rolled too tight. If you can't draw through the cigar, you can try taking a wire coat hanger and using a straightened part to poke into the cigar, sometimes this will fix the draw.
    Or a paper clip, toothpick, etc. Pretty much anything semi straight and hard. Heck last time I went to a herf, I used a pocket knife to cut the end a bit and that helped.

The big rule of thumb is, whatever you do, don't let your poker go through and knock off the lit tobacco and don't let it poke a hole in the side or your draw problems might get worse.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    double post.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I've found that the larger ring gauges that I've tried tend to pull easier. I think I've only had a problem with two cigars ever. Both were 50's and seem, based upon others reviews, uncharacteristic for the cigar. One was a Sherpa Cafe Toro and the other was an Onyx. Only Onyx I've ever had. Guess it's time for another shot for them. I smoked the Sherpa with two of my friends and neither of theirs had draw problems.
  • yeh,  there not that cheap. have tried the poker trick guess the cigar/ roller was/are crap. But i'll try not to poke the lit tobacco have done that alot ,i guess a newbee thing. Smile [:)]
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    psd104:
    yeh,  there not that cheap. have tried the poker trick guess the cigar/ roller was/are crap.
    Sometimes that just happens, it sucks for sure, but with anything that is handmade you are bound to run across one that just has problems. You just have to hope you don't run across them too often. What cigar was it that you had a problem with?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    You'll also get a hard draw if the cigar is over-humidified and too moist or you've cut it badly. If you have a good cut but the cigar draws hard and seems like it's gonna be a chore to smoke (on the pre-light draw) I put it back in the humidor for some more time, a little trick I learned from kuzi.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    bigharpoon:
    ...If you have a good cut but the cigar draws hard and seems like it's gonna be a chore to smoke (on the pre-light draw) I put it back in the humidor for some more time, a little trick I learned from kuzi.
    Wow, that is a good tip. Wish I would have known that when I smoked my Gurkha Doble Maduro. That thing was ridiculously tight, I was ready for that one to be done when it was. I'll definitely remember this from now on though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BStayer:
    bigharpoon:
    ...If you have a good cut but the cigar draws hard and seems like it's gonna be a chore to smoke (on the pre-light draw) I put it back in the humidor for some more time, a little trick I learned from kuzi.
    Wow, that is a good tip. Wish I would have known that when I smoked my Gurkha Doble Maduro. That thing was ridiculously tight, I was ready for that one to be done when it was. I'll definitely remember this from now on though.
    yeah.... the last time i forgot to draw test a cigar was the time i got hard draw.