Home Cigar 101

Overheating?

ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
I just had about the worst cigar experience I've ever had. Tasted harsh, acrid, - I might as well have being eating the ash from the ashtray. :#

I'm at a loss because:
This is a well regarded cigar and I have had one previously and enjoyed it. It came from my reliable coolador which I maintain at 65% RH and had been resting there over 6 months.

I lit while busy grilling salmon and not sure that I lit it fully. After about 1 minute I drew on it and it wasn't going properly. Tasted harsh. Lit it again and drew and drew, seemed to be going, still harsh taste, put it down. Minute later it wasn't burning. Lit it again. It started canoeing. Corrected it with the lighter. Again tasted harsh. Went out again. After 10 minutes of this, instead of tossing it, I decided to cut the whole lit head off and start again at the two-thirds mark. Lit again, drew and drew, producing smoke, but yet again harsh taste. Let sit for a min or two, still a disgusting ashy taste. Had to give up. ...And my head was spinning a little.

The first thing I would think is that the RH must have been too high. But this is ruled out - I know it was at 65%RH. 

My only thought is that it was overheating. Is my description what happens when a cigar overheads? Was I lighting it too much? Another thing - in this Texas summer - my cooler was at 74º. Was the cigar too warm to start with?

Oh, and the cigar was an Aging Room M356 Rondo. I mention this last because I don't think the problem was the brand of cigar.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I'd not blame an Aging Room, nothing else seems out of line.  74* is not too hot.  It had to be something wrong with that particular stick.  I've had some cigars with a too-tight draw that acted like this - how was the draw?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    The draw was a little tight.

Also, we've had storms the last two days. Ground is saturated, air is humid, temp was in the high 80's. Could it have been the transition from 65%RH to really high RH and temp?
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've experienced a lot of relight issues recently with the high heat and high humidity here in Florida. My humidors are at 75 degrees and I'm fighting that. I am looking at buying a winedor now. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Brad, It sounds like you got a bum stick, maybe one that had just enough of a construction flaw that the weather conditions were able to push it over the edge. As for the taste I would blame the relights for a good part of that although a crappy burn will throw it off as well. I think this was a 'perfect storm' of circumstances and that particular cigar was not meant to be on that day. I've had 2 sticks out of different humi's that simply would not smoke this past month.   
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes outside conditions do matter...but If humidity wasn't the problem, sounds like there could've been a big stem in there.  That would cause a harsh taste and funky burn.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Could be a long shot but...
    How old was the cigar?
    Under fermented tobacco or still fermenting tobacco from being pulled from the aging room too soon produces  flavors like you are describing. A good amount of age will fix it. 
    6 months may or may not be enough time depending on air exchange. 
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During high humidity or temperature  I let my cigar rest outside for 5 or 10 minutes to accumulate. Sucks that you had a bad experience with an aging room. 
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    You could be right, Nathan. I can't pin point one factor, so maybe it is a 'perfect storm' scenario. BTW, we need to herf together soon!

Gray4lines, I'm going to find the discarded cigar in question and perform a DZR autopsy to look for a big stem. I guess if the stem were big enough it would cause trouble.

Kuzi, under fermentation would be a good answer. It tasted like it was infused with a repulsive flavor.  Like something the Weasley twins would sell in Harry Potter - new Puke Cigars - tastes like ash and guaranteed to make you vomit in under a minute. I would have thought that a cigar that I've rested for 6 months would be ok, but perhaps not. I'm not going to touch the others for another year.

Eulogy, I've generally tried to acclimatize my cigars to their new environment for 5-10 min, but failed to do so with this one - could be a contributing factor.

Thanks for the responses. This has got to give me credit towards a Masters degree in Herfing. Chemnitz, M.H. :)