Home Ratings & Reviews

Week three group review 6/29/15 -- DPG Serie JJ

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
Light em up folks
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody? 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have any of the ones picked so far. Every time I go to my B&M to pick them up I leave with something else. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaack... I just got mine mid-week, and the promptly forgot.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it too late to light mine up Monday night? That is the end of my work week and I'm looking forward to a late-night porch session

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    My JJ was uneventful, just another good DPG cigar, and that in itself is a compliment.  Great construction, draw, and burn.  Nothing stood out as terrific, but there is nothing bad I could say either.  I'd say the Blue has been sweeter, but similar.  I had an Undercrown this afternoon which I preferred, but those have been on hand for several months, and the JJ only for a few days.  I have a box of robustos on hand, and I'm sure they'll be finer the next time I revisit them.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Is it too late to light mine up Monday night? That is the end of my work week and I'm looking forward to a late-night porch session

-Jay

Go for it! I may try to get one in later this week if my sinuses clear up, something blew in last week and kicked my allergies into overdrive, so everything taste the same. :(
    I think these review threads are meant to be an ongoing thing, a place to put up a review (even tho' mine suck) for posterity.  Somebody a year or more down the road might be looking for opinions on a given cigar, so a review put up anytime past the actual week would be a great idea.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah no problem if you don't get to it during the week we have it set for.  I was just surprised we didn't have one review as of last night.  I was gone most of this past week and didn't get a chance to have one so I will get to it soon and add it here.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely missed this one!  Oops
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Smitty96Smitty96 Posts: 5
    Carlos Torano Dominico Churchill...Any opinions on these?
    Smitty 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I am way behind and trying to catch up.

Had a DPJ JJ Belicoso last night. Paired it with filtered ice water.

Took it to the nub, and wow did this one impress. I smoked it for an hour and forty minutes.

It didn't have the straightest burn, but zero relights were needed, even after I buggered the wrapper trying to get the two bands off. Wow.

First third was subtly sweet, with dark chocolate and good tobacco tones. To me the toasting portion/beginning of a stick always tastes of carmel/marshmallows. As I made my way towards the 2nd third, I caught hints of nuts and eggy dark chocolate custard.

The ash felt loose to me, and the stick flakes ashes effortlessly. First ash fall was at end of first third, and was not like a tight compact section as with some other sticks.

I found that the pace of the cigar is 3-4 mins rest time between a series of 3-4 puffs. More than this and it tends to get spicy.

Second third was spicier--not overpowering the subtle interplay whatsoever-- but I tried to draw that spiciest out by seeing how much faster it could be smoked. Interestingly, I still got the eggy dark chocolate flavor, but more cedar this time. I backed the pace down and the spice disappeared.

Towards the end of the second third I got notes of dried fruit and honey. Surprising. Not cloying at all, more of a flavor tone than sweetness.

I started to purge the stick at this point as I was getting some tar buildup, and had to open the head a bit more with my knife due to that and a poorly situated leaf vein. At that point I had another surprise--the distinct taste/scent of grilling meat. This tasty theme carried through until the end of the smoke. 

Final third is almost always my fave on a stick. Spicy, hot, piles of smoke, tongue bite, and nic hit like a hammer. Cedar has joined the bbq meat tones I get, and the flavor is amazing.

The tobacco flavor profile marries very well the other flavor aspects. The taste at this point is mouth wateringly delicious. I have to force myself to pace deliberately, it is so good.

With the spectrum of flavors the JJ has taken me through in each third, the final third is my favorite.

I will smoke this one again.

-Jay

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Catching up,................

Week Three Group review DPG Serie JJ

This cigars is a belicoso 5.7" x 52 with corojo wrapper sent to me thanks to Jeff @ExpendableYouth. By the time I have begun writing I am at the halfway point already. It is now 2:05AM of Thursday August 6th 2015. It is cool after an earlier rain and it is very comfortable. Lately it's been humid and sticky even in the dead of night but this pleasant change is a welcome alternative. As soon as I lit the cigar a crack in the wrapper developed near the foot but the burn line overtook it without any extension of the crack so that worked out about as well as the weather. The cigar is peppery at times along with underlying sweeter flavors but, as long as I don't allow it to get too hot on the draw I can keep the pepper flavors to a minimum and maximize the sweeter creamy leathery and earthy flavors instead. This approach has allowed the stick to almost extinguish itself several times. No total re-lights are necessary except for a few touch-ups to the foot to re-create an even burn across the entire foot. This cigar does not seem to be among my favorite blends but it has been enjoyable, especially in the second half of the stick. I'm stabbing it with a nubber and I'm going to see how far the goodness of the dwindling nub will last. At this point I wouldn't necessarily seek out a bundle or a box of these but I wouldn't mind re-visiting this cigar in the future.