Home Cigar 101

How Long For a Wrapper to Yellow?

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up a Punch robusto over lunch from 7-11, one of the 'Humidity Controlled' bags that are factory sealed, and the cello is very yellow. Only thing I can think is that it has been there a very long time (24+ months as the location isn't much older than that) as folks typically don't get cigars at 7-11, other than the GyV or Swisher/White Owl fare.

As far as humidity controlled packaging, I dunno, but the stick looked fine, no cracks, issues, etc.

Thinking I lucked out and got a bonus aged stick at a c-store. 

How long for those wrappers to yellow?

-Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure as to the direct answer to your question but I am wondering if the humi-package does something to speed the process of the yellowing cello or not. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    The yellowing of the cello can be accelerated by the establishment's fluorescent lighting. 

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matkin, that may be a very strong possibility. I did neglect to mention the clerk said he didn't sell many of them.

Variant, the packaging is opaque and looks like this:
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    edited July 2015
    Thinking back, my brother bought me a Macanudo Robusto (in identical packaging, the 'locked in humidity') 6 weeks ago, and that wrapper demonstrated no yellow.

Perhaps this will be like the owl from the Tootsie Pop commercial; the world may never know

Unless some brave BOTL wants to make a trip to 7-11 and buy a Punch or Macanudo and report findings :)
    edited July 2015
    The stick in question (apologies, snapped in low light)
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a cigar with 8 months that's starting to yellow and one with 4 years that's still clear. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.
    This leads me to speculate then if it is a cello reaction, and not necessarily a tobacco reaction, I imagine the type of wrapper tobacco might also be a factor -- Connie vs Mauro, etc
    I went back and got two more last night, both strong yellow wrappers. Smoked one ant it tasted mellowed, only way I can describe it.

It is weird to have so many yellow wrapper sticks.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think it would depend in part on the oiliness of the tobacco in any given stick/brand....  Just a guess on my part...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they even put it in a cello since its in the humi bag to begin with. That is interesting though. If I come across one I will check it out. I've gotten a couple blondies but I can't remember if they were in cello or not but I'm sure I'd have noticed if it had yellowing.