Home Cigar 101

Well I did a boveda test

2»

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Bob, do you date stamp everything? Hahaha

Good info here, I didn't know you could recharge them. I thought they were filled with a PG based solution and mixing that and distilled water was a big no-no. You guys are saying it's a distilled water based solution inside bovedas?
    Not everything. Milk and bread already comes with a date stamp ;)

I'm not claiming to know what's inside the bovedas. If you want specifics from me, I'll tell you there's a lot of guessing involved. I guess the Boveda is designed to absorb moisture if the RH is above above the specific RH rating of the boveda. I'm guessing this is why they plump back up. I'm guessing that these recharged ones work as well as the new ones. I have not conducted any tests yet, but they seem to work OK,.......I guess.
    UPDATE: Bamboo will mold if you leave it in there long enough. Sorry, I should have taken pics but I just tossed it.
    Bob Luken:
    rsherman24:
    That is a lot of work. I use a container like below. Cut a piece of wire mesh to fit, pour an inch of distilled water in and put the lid on. Packs are recharged and better than new in a couple days. Not sure why putting them over the water works better, but I have tried other ways and this works best and is super simple.

That is a nice set up Sherm. For mine I use bamboo skewers to create a platform that would perform the same function as your wire mesh.

UPDATE: The bamboo got MOLDY. I guess it's OK for short term but it will set up mold eventually. Better off with a plastic or metal set up like Sherman's.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    why bother with a mesh or sticks or anything? I just place mine in the bottom and cover with distilled water. Or the new method that Chuck Norris taught me, Just drop into boiling water until fat.

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    why bother with a mesh or sticks or anything? I just place mine in the bottom and cover with distilled water. Or the new method that Chuck Norris taught me, Just drop into boiling water until fat.

Aj
    Well, I guess I'm just taking a slow and easy approach. I'm asking it to do what it was made to do. It's trying to reduce the RH Inside the Tupperware by absorbing moisture. I don't know if dunking them or boiling them causes any changes in the permeable membrane. Probably not, but I figure with the dry method I'm almost certain that I'm not altering anything.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys,

Plumbing the older posts. 

Any updates on the Chuck Norris drop in method? Any complications?

As this one is 6 months old, seeking some longer term updates

Thanks!
    Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Any updates on the Chuck Norris drop in method?
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • jsnblnchrdjsnblnchrd Posts: 33

I usually just seal mine in a Ziploc bag with distilled water for a couple of days.  I like Chuck's idea though.  One question: does he dunk or suspend above it?

edited June 2015
    My desktop humis are really struggling with the Utah heat this summer.

In a couple of weeks they chewed though three Bovedas (made them pretty solid). 

They are right now (day 3, IIRC) in a Tupperware with a shot glass of distilled water. How much will they absorb? 

I willprolly teat test them tonight to see if they are at the correct rh, or if they need more time.

-Jay
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave mine until they are nice and plump. I don't really know how long it actually takes, I have enough to rotate, so by the time one set starts to get low the other set is charged.

If you add a piece of sponge to your water glass so that about  1/3 of the sponge is sticking out of the water it helps increase the surface area and the water evaporates a bit faster.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This raises a question I've been wondering about, that there may not be a standard answer to...

How long might it take for a cigar to reach the correct moisture/humidity through and through?

I was talking to a buddy who had dried out stick that he tried to rehydrate and it still burned wonky.  The thought occurred to me that he probably got the stick partly corrected, but that the outer portions were properly moist, but the inside was still dry.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited June 2015
    Just circling back to say thanks on this thread. The resurrected boveda packs waved a hullo to the dried out ones which were hard as rocks when I swapped them this afternoon.

I expect the next 3 months will be a ongoing cycle of swapping them from the humi to the recharging station

-Jay
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 thing you can find out as you go but if you have extra bovedas in the humi it an help them last longer and help maintain the humidity.  You can never really have too many as they are a 2 way system.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Pretty darned excited, got my 60 gram bovedas today. Should help cut down with having to switch out the 8 gram ones every two weeks.

-Jay