Home Cigar 101

Odd case of dry cigars..

Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
Has anyone ever had certain cigars get really dry, but not others? My RP Puro Cabanos dried out, but the rest of my sticks have done just fine. It's a little confusing.

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Maybe there was a problem with them before you ever got them. I have had sticks in my main humi, rarely but occasionally, act dry when everything else seemed great. I marked it up to the stick rather than my humi .
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    gmill880:
    Maybe there was a problem with them before you ever got them. I have had sticks in my main humi, rarely but occasionally, act dry when everything else seemed great. I marked it up to the stick rather than my humi .
    Maybe. They were perfectly fine when I got the shipment in about a month ago. They dried out pretty quickly though. I did have a bit there where I was having issues with my humidity, so maybe they just don't hold up very well?
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    My Romeo y Julietas dry out when others stay ok...they always do...
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I had that exact same problem yesterday. I had a Rocky Patel The Edge that has been in my cigar for a few months. Horribly dry! My other cigars (some have been in there much longer, some much shorter) are fine, but that one cigar....
  • gmill880:
    you bought a defective one, its a rare case.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    On that Oliva Web page link I put up a month or so ago it was explained that certain wrappers prefer to be kept a little more moist then others.

I have noticed the difference myself by keeping the same sticks in different Humi's. When I smoke one from Humi "A" it may be a little higher or lower than say "B" "C" or from the coolerdor.

It is a little experiment in progress right now. But I have found a difference in some sticks with only one or two points difference in the RH of some sticks.
  • I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like humidity might not be reaching a certain corner of your humi, where your Puro Cubanos could be resting. If you only have one humidity source, and these dry sticks are the furthest away from it, then that could be the problem. If so, try suplementing your humidor with another humidity source and rotate your sticks. Again, for all I know, your Puro Cubanos could be nestled up right next to your humidity source, and I could be wrong, but thats what came to mind when I read your post, as I have noticed this in my humidor as well.