Home Cigar 101
Options

Temp / Humidity / Climate

peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can't remember if it was something I read, or someone told me, but supposedly in some areas of Cuba the climate is so moderate and consistent that they don't even use humidors except that they're an easy way to store the cigars.

Anyone think there's some truth to that?

We've all heard the 70*/70% rule, but of course that's just a guideline.  75* or even 80* can't be all that bad, if the humidity is correct, say below 70%, wouldn't you say?  I've read online that some people say they have different cigars at 63% and they like others at 68%...  some of that I'm thinking is nothing more than cigar snobbery, like it makes them sound like experts...  and some people have the ability to discern minute changes in humidity. 

But, I feel there has to be a broader range of temp/humidity that cigars are happy in.

I just got a couple giant orders, and while I'm waiting to smoke some of the stash and make room in my tupperdors; it's 75* and 63% in my office, so I feel safe in letting the cigars sit in the boxes they arrived in for a short while.  Am I nuts?
"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more worried about the temps. If it's going to be hotter than 70 I'm freezing the stash
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I can't remember if it was something I read, or someone told me, but supposedly in some areas of Cuba the climate is so moderate and consistent that they don't even use humidors except that they're an easy way to store the cigars.

We've all heard the 70*/70% rule, but of course that's just a guideline.  75* or even 80* can't be all that bad, if the humidity is correct, say below 70%, wouldn't you say?  I've read online that some people say they have different cigars at 63% and they like others at 68%...  some of that I'm thinking is nothing more than cigar snobbery, like it makes them sound like experts...  and some people have the ability to discern minute changes in humidity. 

But, I feel there has to be a broader range of temp/humidity that cigars are happy in.

I just got a couple giant orders, and while I'm waiting to smoke some of the stash and make room in my tupperdors; it's 75* and 63% in my office, so I feel safe in letting the cigars sit in the boxes they arrived in for a short while.  Am I nuts?

I guess it would depend on what your idea of a "short while" is, a day or even two probably won't hurt anything, you could always put in a large ziplock. I can't say that I can taste a difference at different RH percentage's but I can see a big difference in the draw and the burn with even minor % difference's.      
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

I guess it would depend on what your idea of a "short while" is, a day or even two probably won't hurt anything, you could always put in a large ziplock. I can't say that I can taste a difference at different RH percentage's but I can see a big difference in the draw and the burn with even minor % difference's.      
    Yeah I have found here in Wisconsin I get a better experience once I dropped my humidity to 65%. More even burns and a more consistent draw.  Flavors stay the same. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still intrigued by the idea of a climate like Cuba's (probably a myth) that would be good enough for storing cigars.  I could see how an island, with a steady sea breeze and no temp swings might actually work.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis