Home Cigar 101
Options

Tubes?

skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see the discussions about cello, and I keep my smokes in the cello.  I also have a handful that came in tubes (im guessing aluminum).  Same questions, will they age properly in tubes?  Can I put those tubes in the humi or should i ditch them?

Thoughts?
How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine in the tubes but take off the cap and remove a cedar sleeve if there is one. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @avengethis
    should one also un-sleeve any of the cello wrapped/sleeved sticks?

Sleeve = bad?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Cedar sleeve is just a moldy cigar waiting to happen. Had it happen once. I caught it early so I didn't lose a quality stick.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    @avengethis
    should one also un-sleeve any of the cello wrapped/sleeved sticks?

Sleeve = bad?

-Jay
    Don't listen to these guys. You always want a Sleeve, might even ask nicely for it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trouble with aluminum tubes: They sweat. Just like a cold can of coke. Actually condensation. Except the bad part is it happens on the inside when/if your tube is exposed to temps that are cooler than the temps at which the tube was resting. Even a small swing in cooler temps will bring on a small amount of sweat. This is what brings on the mold. 

• Options
    kemper74kemper74 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    The trouble with aluminum tubes: They sweat. Just like a cold can of coke. Actually condensation. Except the bad part is it happens on the inside when/if your tube is exposed to temps that are cooler than the temps at which the tube was resting. Even a small swing in cooler temps will bring on a small amount of sweat. This is what brings on the mold. 

+1
  • Options
    Again, we need an insightful button.

Thanks guys!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the info. I need to pull the sleves on the few tubes I have.
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting rid of the tubes.  That whole sweat thing done scared me off. LOL. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tubes don't scare as much as the wood coffins do, I did lose almost all of the tubes though and the ones I do keep lose the cedar wrap. I do remove the cedar sleeve from everything before they go into the humi.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tubes don't scare as much as the wood coffins do, I did lose almost all of the tubes though and the ones I do keep lose the cedar wrap. I do remove the cedar sleeve from everything before they go into the humi.

Don't keep the wood coffins either?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Update:

tubes and sleeves removed, no signs of mold. Was pleasantly surprised that one of the tubos had a maduro in it. 

-Jay