Home Non Cigar Related

Advice Please!! Car related..

No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Non Cigar Related
To start, I'M PISSED so that may come off in my tone of writing. Just a warning.

Anyway, I just got my mustang back from the dealer after 9 days... and they didn't end up actually doing anything. Only diagnostic stuff. Here's the problem:

When the revs drop between 3500-2000RPM depending on gearr (only when dropping) the drive shaft or somewhere abouts shudders... significantly. Everything else is fine, I LOVE this car, but that is very obviously something that will cause premature wear to whatever part(s) causing it. I'm an engineer, but I think I could have figured that out as a 17 year old when I just got my license. If this area of the car wears, and especially wears while I'm thinking it's normal and don't notice it getting worse, then the failure could be catastrophic.

After checking it out, and talking to corporate, my dealer was told by Ford that this is just a regular thing that happens to some of these cars and there is no maintenance required. The dealer definitely disagrees, but Ford will not pay out on the warranty to take it apart and try to fix. So they just gave it back and said sorry (luckily I wasn't charged but I did have to eat $200 in car rental stuff during the 9 days they had it).

Now, I'm not really that angry at my dealership. They've been very kind, though slow, and have been trying very hard to keep me happy. But I'm so damn pissed that I'm supposed to just accept this. It's embarassing to drive, and it's going to eventually be dangerous or very costly. I mean I got a red, manual, 300hp mustang. There's a reason for that, and because of those reasons I can't just accept this and be embarrassed about my car. Screw that. I need help with my options, what do you guys think?

1. I talked to some other higher-ups at the dealership and they say they might just go against corporate and do the work anyway, but I may have to pay some portion of it. This is just a maybe. They even said it may not even fix it. This also makes me get another stupid POS rental for a while which I thoroughly detested.

2. I might be able to roll the cost of this car (with a generous forgiveness on the year of depreciation) and maybe even a few grand taken off the next car. I like this idea, but on their lot they don't have anything less than $7K more, nothing the same color, and no spoiler... though the cars they have are at like 10k miles vs my 72k.

3. I take it to another mechanic and try to get it fixed which could end up equating the cost that it would be to just get a newer one. Again, I'll need a rental during this.

4. I pay no extra, go through no extra BS, and eventually it blows up.

Comments

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take it to a mechanic and have the problem diagnosed. If it is a serious problem bring it to the dealerships attention, and if they agree with the dealership than your out a hundred bucks to get a second opinion.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough situation and cannot believe Ford would stick it to you like that. I think I would be contacting Ford and/or a lawyer. However, out of the options given #2 sounds the best especially given 10k vs 72k. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Due to the location, complexity of actually diagnosing (taking apart transmission), and then what happens after it's apart (fix or put back) the other mechanic route does add up quickly. It will likely be cheaper than choice 2 and maybe more trustworthy than choice 1, but it also could end up no different, or worse.

And I think a lawyer is out of the picture from the extensive cases I've read on similar issues over the years. I read a LOT about cars so if corporate won't agree it's a problem needing fixing, their lawyers sort of just win. But you have a point about the 10K vs 72K. That alone might offset the cost difference over time, as well as the newer car would be under factory warranty instead of the certified pre-owned limited warranty I currently have.

Just fyi, I'm not shooting anyone's answers down, but my mind is VERY much helpd by bouncing ideas around. You guys are helping me see pros/cons I haven't thought of so thank you!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that they may have lied about talking to corporate.  I'd suggest finding who to call yourself, and light a fire under whoever it is that can tell the dealer to make it right.  Corporate will be less likely to blow off an irate customer than the dealership, if in fact the dealership did in fact call them.

If you can swing the ~$7K to get into something newer, that sounds like an attractive option, even if it means waiting a few months 'til they take something in trade that's suits you more than what they have on the lot today.  And if you can get them to sell you a spoiler at their cost and/or install it too, that would be something to think about.  The way cars are advancing in their technology and design, a car that even a few years newer/fresher, you might be glad to have made that move once you're in it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    I actually got copies of their conversations with corporate. But contacting them myself is a good idea. Might get some more leverage. 

And i was actually just thinking about asking them to add the spoiler and such as part of the deal. Great minds right?

I just did a financial breakdown and i got about a $200-$400 monthly payment for the newer car difference over my preferred 36 months. Not terrible... maybe worth it. 
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Googled your car's symptoms and got this hit:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/267071-2006-mustang-gt-deceleration-downshifting-vibration.html

Not sure the year, trans type etc., but a loose drive shaft would seems plausible.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Blasted. You made me come back and post.

The problem you are having are characteristic of the dual mass flywheel problem.
    Ford does not have a fix for it. 
    It is a common problem.

Some have had some success with aftermarket flywheels.

But you didn't say what year, engine and trans you have, so I am speculating and couldn't give more precise info without that info.
    But it's common enough that the symptoms are what you are describing.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Hmm. Haven't heard that one but definitely makes sense. Problem is the drive shaft makes sense to me too. In any case, after market fly wheel is another option thanks! 

Btw its a 2011 v6 with mt82 6-speed.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me, I would pursue option #2, only I would let the dealer know, as well as Ford themselves, that I won't be pursuing this option through them.  I'd get a **** Camaro or Challenger this time around.  I'd eat money on the deal for sure, but no way would I do it for Ford again, after the way they have not stood by their product.  That's just me though.  When I feel I am getting screwed by a company, I dedicate the rest of my life to not buying their products.  I would rather be dead before I walked into another Sears. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    Yeah im hesitant about another ford for sure. But i love this car minus this issue. I really want this car, and camaros and challengers just don't do it for me. I'll probably test drive them and a bunch of others though just to make myself sure again this time around. I was thinking about asking them to get me something they don't have lol
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I talked with another mechanic who deals strictly with Fords and he said you might try changing the trans oil to Royal Purple or Redline MTL. Some folks have got the shudder to quiet down a little.
    But he also said that if you have the manual transmission, the it is most likely the dualmass flywheel.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Thanks! Great info, but **** to hear. I gotta do some research and test drives i guess.

I'm going back to the dealer Monday to see what they're offering. But whatever i choose none is an easy decision. :/
    Quick additional question. Assuming I end up going with choice #2 (new car), one of the ones they have says "Reported color as black." and then about a year later "Reported color as blue." on the carfax. My brain says, F-THAT definitely an accident... it's a red flag right?
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most definitely a red flag. Can't imagine someone changing the color of the car unless it is a noticeable custom paint job. If it just looks stock then buyer beware. I am also wondering if the report states damage. Something enough to change the color should be enough to report to carfax. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

I thought it would but there's no damage report anywhere. But sometimes these don't get reported, and it's a year old. Who buys a new car, and then paints it? I think I'll stay clear just to be safe.
    Ford did have an awesome color in some years for the Mustang; it was the deepest, most gorgeous blue, that in some light would look black.  Maybe the person filling in the carfax info was a doofus.
    Nah it's very clearly blue. No way to F this up, but it is deep and gorgeous. Still, I'm staying clear of that one.

The other problem is though, this dealership barely has anything I'd be interested in. There's absolutely no way I'm trading down, there aren't many manual transmissions, and I can't justify only having 2 seats (Nissan 370 Z). I'm thinking about just setting my upper limit, and if they can't hit that for the 2014 GT Premium I'm gonna walk away and either look elsewhere or work more on getting it fixed.
    Welllllllll they went under my budget... so now I have a Black 2014 GT Premium. Yea. That happened. And, it's a lot of money, but it's SO AMAZING holy **** this thing is ridiculous. I swear if something happens and my factory warranty doesn't cover it I'm gonna ride a bike from then on lol

So obviously 6-spd M/T, nav, leather heated seats, lots of cool little better upgrades, and oh yea 420 hp with 390 lb-ft of torque.
    Better start setting aside some extra cash for new rear tires every six months.

Glad it worked out, and you're happy.  How could you not be happy with a great car like that?!?
    Yea it's just a ridiculously cool car. I feel like it should be worth so much more, not that it was cheap (man am I hurting lol), but it's basically an affordable dream car for me.

Best case scenario I think after being let down.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics or it didn't happen. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet car.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait that's it?  Ehh I've had better :p

Just kidding Sam. Nice looking ride 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet wheels!
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Very sharp Mustang. Glad it all worked out for you.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is one sexy ride you got there sam. 
    sounds like a pain-in-the-ass to deal with but glad it worked out in the end.

congrats bro. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a selfie or else .......... fake
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Sam! wanna race?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    That car looks fast parked..Enjoy the new ride.