Home Non Cigar Related

How scary is THIS?

Maurice Clemmons, up until the events yesterday, lived just a couple of houses away from the house I grew up in - the house that my parents still live in.

I even met him a couple of times, and I did not think he was acting particularly out of the ordinary on the brief times that happened.

Then I look at the news today, and think - what the hell? I knew nothing about his past history until today. That man should have never been let back out on the streets.

It's just shocking to know that I actually conversed with a guy who would do the things he did.

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    have you ever wanted to sit across from the courthouse high in a building with a sniper rifle pointed at pieces of trash like this and take them our for the betterment of society...... just sayin
  • I generally oppose the death penalty because of the many cases in the past where innocent people have been put on death row due to crooked prosecutors. I'd rather not risk putting an innocent man to death, after all, and I feel that if capital punishment is to be used, then prosecutors who knowingly put innocent people in there should face it whenever they are brought to light. That's only fair, is it not?

But a guy like this, where the case is as clear-cut as it gets - well, I am not a violent man. I do not own any guns (although I also do oppose gun control - and am all for gun education). It is not in my nature to snipe at anybody. However, for a guy like this, a sniper bullet is too good. Too quick, too painless. Tearing out his insides with a blunt spoon is more appropriate given everything he has done. Not that I would want to be the one tearing them out, but you get what I am saying.
  • bforresterbforrester Posts: 16
    Take him in the wood shed, nail his feet to a heavy log, hand him an axe, light shed on fire.
  • I think any decent person would agree that this person deserves a horrible end.

Still, it's a trip to realize that - DAMN, he was a neighbor. And most of the people around him had no clue what kind of person he really was - not until he became a headline story in the local news, that is.

My parents were telling me that they spent time with him at a neighborhood BBQ, and that he seemed to be normal at that time.

That's just creepy, if one thinks about it.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    None of my neighbors know how much of a sarcastic *** or borderline alcoholic I am....

Just sayin'
  • Well, it looks like Clemmons finally reached the end of his rope.

And all I have to say about that is - good for him.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    My heart goes out to the Officer's families. It is tragic, all of them had kids and their lives will forever be changed. I think that it was courageous of the Officer that fought Clemmons and forced him out the door and shot him for we will never know if Clemmons after killing the officers inside would have turned to the customers and employees. Kudos to the lone Seattle Officer who ended the madness this morning.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    being the son of a retired Police Officer, I can't imagine how this has affected all of the lives of these families. but not only that, he also hurt children, and for that, I'm glad he's met his maker. a bullet was too easy on him though.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    This just speaks to the fact that we NEVER know what goes through another person's mind. We never know what can set an otherwise NORMAL person off or push them over the deep end and we encounter results like this. It is quite hard to conceive that anyone could do such horrible things, but again it happens. The aftermath of such actions have extremely lingering effects for the families of these people and all of us. How about the guy they found all of the bodies in his house and in his yard recently?
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Hawk55:
    This just speaks to the fact that we NEVER know what goes through another person's mind. We never know what can set an otherwise NORMAL person off or push them over the deep end and we encounter results like this. It is quite hard to conceive that anyone could do such horrible things, but again it happens. The aftermath of such actions have extremely lingering effects for the families of these people and all of us. How about the guy they found all of the bodies in his house and in his yard recently?
    the problem with this guy was that he wasn't a normal person. He was a convicted felon with a history of violence against people. He should have never been allowed back out on the streets yet with our current judicial system which can be over-turned by political figures who know nothing about the person, things like this will continue to happen. I am glad that this man got what he had coming and my heart goes out to the families of the fallen officers.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    PuroFreak:
    Hawk55:
    the problem with this guy was that he wasn't a normal person. He was a convicted felon with a history of violence against people. He should have never been allowed back out on the streets yet with our current judicial system which can be over-turned by political figures who know nothing about the person, things like this will continue to happen. I am glad that this man got what he had coming and my heart goes out to the families of the fallen officers.

Amen Puro Amen
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    All hail Mike Huckabee and his fine decisions------now he can add this prisoner release to his resume of one time presidental candidate, FOX News resident guitar player, and christian conservative queeef bag.....and we agree again on your post Puro, us agreeing....scary.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I've ever expressed this on here, but here it goes.....

I DON'T THINK WE USE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT ENOUGH!!!

Now that I've expressed that, let me explain why. We have fooled ourselves throughout history that crime and punishment correlate with each other. The truth behind it is that punishment does not correct the psychological error that occurs, the mental breakdown in logic when one knowingly commits an unlawful act. This is not something that needs to be punished, but corrected, AKA "rehabilitated."
    The primary problem with our "correctional system" is that they aren't correcting anything. Before a person is convicted, it needs to be determined if a person can be "rehabilitated" from the crime that they have committed. If they can not be rehabilitated, then kill them. Life inprisonment is "cruel and unusual punishment," not just to the criminal but to society who must foot the bill to keep this absolutely worthless individual alive for the next 60 years.
    If an individual is found capable of rehabilitation but chooses not to participate, kill him! If an individual is found capable of rehabilitation and is deemed fully rehabilitated and he commits another serious crime, then who deemed him capable of rehabilitation needs to stand before a jury of his/her peers!

Just something that's been on my mind for a while now!
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I'm going to have to be the odd man out on this one. To ever take pleasure in hurting or killing someone, even an evil person, is not good in my opinion. Peace, if you believe in such a thing, is something that occurs one person at a time. But the ball never gets rolling as we live in a society who's motto is " don't tread on me". We talk about turning the other cheek, and forgiveness, but never practice such things. At least not when it really matters. Regardless of weather or not what happened in the end was justice - to act like a bunch of screeching monkeys beating their chests, not good.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey edge, again, it is good to see members post their opinions is a civil, respectful manner. I am sure you are not alone in your proposition.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Hey edge nice peaceful post...