Home General Discussion

Dunhill Altamiras

Yes I know, I posted this in "Cigar 101" as well, but I'm really interested and searching for answers. Anyway, I'm new to forums, I'm new to this site, and I'm relatively new to cigars. I've been in Afghanistan for about 3 months. All the while, my wife has been sending random cigars from shops around Savannah, GA. Its always exciting to get a package with new "testers." Well, it's been her routine to go in and ask, right away, "what do you recommend and what is your most expensive." She ends up getting me a few of each. Which brings my to my topic. The most expensive and, actually, the best cigar I've had yet. The Dunhill Altamiras. Now, I don't just smoke and say, "yah or nay." I like to read up and learn about the tobacco, the region, and the company. To my surprise, I didn't find much, except that Dunhill may have been bought out. Here lies my questions; is this (to the "connoisseurs") is this a good cigar and if so, why so hard to find. Thank you for those who will spend the time answering. Matthew

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    medicaltango:
    Yes I know, I posted this in "Cigar 101" as well, but I'm really interested and searching for answers. Anyway, I'm new to forums, I'm new to this site, and I'm relatively new to cigars. I've been in Afghanistan for about 3 months. All the while, my wife has been sending random cigars from shops around Savannah, GA. Its always exciting to get a package with new "testers." Well, it's been her routine to go in and ask, right away, "what do you recommend and what is your most expensive." She ends up getting me a few of each. Which brings my to my topic. The most expensive and, actually, the best cigar I've had yet. The Dunhill Altamiras. Now, I don't just smoke and say, "yah or nay." I like to read up and learn about the tobacco, the region, and the company. To my surprise, I didn't find much, except that Dunhill may have been bought out. Here lies my questions; is this (to the "connoisseurs") is this a good cigar and if so, why so hard to find. Thank you for those who will spend the time answering. Matthew
    It's been a long time since I had Dunhill, but the ones I had were always smooth, creamy, and rather Mild. I thought they were a bit pricey and I found myself wanting a stronger cigar then Dunhill at that time. Not to put down the cigar, I enjoyed them very much. I may have to go find another just to see what I have been missing. I think CAO picked up the line and has something to do with the distribution of them, not really sure of much more. They remind me of the few Davidoff I have had.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Dunhill cigars have a Connecticut shade wrapper, a dominican biinder and fillers from brazil and the dominican. (according to Perelman's )
    medicaltango:
    and what is your most expensive?
    this kinda struck me when i read it.

price, in my opinion, is not indicative of quality. there are many brands out there that are very expensive that many people do not like or do not find to be their taste. (short list: Cohiba Red Dot, Gurkha, Davidoff)

though i have no problem with Dunhill cigars, i feel that they are a bit on the mild side for my tastes. the standard Dunhil line in general is too mild. the Dunhill Signed Range is supposed to be more on the full bodied side. i have yet to try them though. I kinda wanna. they have fillers from the Dominican, a Cameroon binder and a wrapper from Nicaragua.