Home Cigar 101

Freezing naked cigars.

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have some no cello cigars that i am going to freeze. I'm hesitant to allow them to touch each other while freezing. I don't want to damage the wrappers. Right now I'm saving used cello to sleeve them up. Anybody have any experience with this?

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I have been freezing my whole stash over the last couple weeks and havent had any issues with the no cello cigars touching. I used freezer bags and froze for 3-4 days. I removed them and wrapped in a towel for 12-24 hours. Then back in the humi. Most of the ones i froze without cello were Warped lines and the La Unica has a thinner wrapper which was fine.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't frozen any sticks, but think a main consideration especially with no-cello sticks would be to let the bag they're in sit for a half day to let all the cigars come to room temp before opening the ziplock.

That's the major rule when freezing coffee.  If you open a bag when the contents are colder than the room air it lets the moisture in the air condense on the coffee, cigars, etc.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    The ones im worried about are the OSOK. They have a full paper wrapper and im not sure if i should remove them before i freeze them. Any ideas on these?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I haven't frozen any sticks, but think a main consideration especially with no-cello sticks would be to let the bag they're in sit for a half day to let all the cigars come to room temp before opening the ziplock.

That's the major rule when freezing coffee.  If you open a bag when the contents are colder than the room air it lets the moisture in the air condense on the coffee, cigars, etc.

^^This!
    Usaf06 said:
    The ones im worried about are the OSOK. They have a full paper wrapper and im not sure if i should remove them before i freeze them. Any ideas on these?

Leave the tissue and the sleeve on it won't hurt anything.
    When I freeze I double bag with the Ziploc, when they come out I remove the first bag then wrap in a towel.
    Ty strange one
    -- Winston Churchill

• Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Im surprised to see you guys are freezing your cigars.  What kind of freezers to you have and how low do they go?  Are your freezing for some sort of freshness issue?  I ask because if it is bug related, to kill the larva, you need to freeze to between -10 and -20F and most home units don't dip that low.
    I have a seperate freezer for meat outside that I use. I don't know the temp but I know it's much colder then my freezer inside
    -- Winston Churchill

Im surprised to see you guys are freezing your cigars.  What kind of freezers to you have and how low do they go?  Are your freezing for some sort of freshness issue?  I ask because if it is bug related, to kill the larva, you need to freeze to between -10 and -20F and most home units don't dip that low.

Yeah, it's about bug control for me, I use a deep freezer -0 for 72 to 96 hrs.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Son of a b****. Guess I'll need that wineador sooner than later.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for weighing in on this subject. 
    You say "to kill the larva, you need to freeze to between -10 and -20F". 
    For how long?

I've read that zero degrees Fahrenheit  for 72 hours is cold enough to get the job done. So far so good, and I've been freezing at somewhere between 0* and -6* for 3 days minimum, and most times longer than that. I've been doing that for a few years now based on information I read before I adopted this general rule of thumb but, I'd like to know if you think I'm wasting my time. Several sources I found online post charts relating to freezing temperatures and the time required at each level in order to kill the eggs,(which are the hardest part of the life cycle to kill).  Each source noted that more time is required at higher freezing temps and less time is required at lower freezing temps. 

Can you fill us in with more details about your direct experiences with this?

P.S. You may be pleased to know I've never experienced any beetle problems with cigars shipped to me from ccom. However after my first beetle experience with cigars I purchased at a B&M I began looking into solutions and in a "just to be safe" effort I began freezing a majority of the cigars I bought. And I keep cigars I have frozen separate from those that I have not.