Home Pipes

Tobacco Humidity

flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
Guys

If tobacco becomes too dry, how do we bring it back to life? How do we store it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    throw it in a metal mixing bowl and spritz it with some distilled water. Then store it in a mason jar when you are down. Also you can put it in a bowl with a damp paper towel placed over top of the bowl; this method takes longer, but it will work as well if you don't' have a spray bottle handy.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mason jars with a 2 piece lid are the way to go for storage. I jar everything as soon as I open it and have not had anything dry out this way. If left in a tin or bag even a ziplock it will dry out after a while.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys!!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    What if it is too moist? Iv had some left in my truck for a few days and it wont stay lit. I assume that it is too moist.

Will it dry out if left open?
    One God, One Truth
    Yes, From what I can tell a lot of tobacco is packed/sold a bit moist and will smoke better if I let it sit out a little, anywhere from 15 min to an hr. This is one reason I'm not too worried about having some in a fold over pouch. If it gets to dry it loses flavor and burns hot though.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, 

Can I put it in my humi with my cigars? Will it play nice with my stogies?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    jarubla said:
    Guys, 

Can I put it in my humi with my cigars? Will it play nice with my stogies?

-Jay

I wouldn't think so, I think even 60% RH would be too high for pipe tobacco plus I wouldn't want to take a chance on cross contamination of flavors/aromas. I think there is a thread somewhere that goes into some detail on the difference between moisture content (pipe tobacco) and RH (cigars) Maybe Sean or one of the brothers with more experience will enlighten us.  
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Thank you @onestrangeone

I will do the mason jar thing then most likely.

I will poke about the interwebz for the target rh for pipe tabac

Edit: 10-18% rh. This was an interesting read:  
    http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/pipe-tobacco-storage/

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch