Home Non Cigar Related

How's Your Electric Bill This Summer

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mine is not too bad. A Hundred bucks or so/month. The monthly bill has been a surprise.

I used to live in St Louis County, and it was three hundred/month to chill the house
(the upstairs would cool off by about 3 am).

So how much are you paying to enjoy your AC?

-Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep my small house pretty cool most of the time and it's usually less than a hundred. I've kept it cooler than I used to before I started smoking cigars and it's still pretty affordable.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I don't really care when the temperatures outside are 95 +  I imagine it will be between 130-170.  Still cheaper than my Frickin cell phone or cable / internet  bills.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine during these summer months will be $300 +
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This month 380 dollars. CT has some of the highest rates! Work bill 10-11,000! It ain't easy keeping the freezers -25!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God Bless Willis Carrier!

There ought to be a Nobel Prize for guys like that.

I dunno the cost, but put it this way: We popped a breaker today.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    This month 380 dollars. CT has some of the highest rates! Work bill 10-11,000! It ain't easy keeping the freezers -25!
    Holy Shiite. I saw the bill at my work once and it was up in that range.
    The thing I don't understand is even in the winter with 5 degrees outside temp, it still costs 9-10 K! Doesn't make much sense to me!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2 story with 2 units.  Running just the downstairs I usually hang around 300, when we have company and run both it rubs against 400.  Gotta love CA Edison and their tier systems....

to make you feel better though the base I'm stationed at... Between base housing, the 5 hangars with 440V service for the aircraft and and all the buildings on base...675,000...per DAY!  No wonder the base is big on energy conservation.
    Wow! I wonder if that is the "special" rate for the government! Like the $600 toilet seats exposed years ago! I think it was United Technology selling them to the government.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My studio electric bill is around $60 monthly. With the elevation at 3500 ft i don't need AC. When I designed and built the studio I faced it east and south and added a 2ft overhang on the roof so it is kind of passive solar. Sun comes in the windows in the winter and doesn't come in in the summer. If I drive 20 miles in any direction I drop off the mountain and the outside temp goes up 15 degrees.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    were racking about 200 this year... but its been an odd year for us... humid like houston when its normally bone dry
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just shy of $100/month for our old, 2-story, 3 bedroom house.

i bet half of it goes to running the dehumidifier and old beer-fridge in the basement though .... those things are power hungry

our electrical provider is municipally owned and operated, and, as a result have some of the lowest rates in the state

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I moved in el was topping $300 in July. 1400 sq ft built in 77, since then I've replaced the AC, reinsulated the attic, increased the attic ventilation, changed windows and added solar screens. last mo was $160 will probably hit $180 this mo and maybe $200 for August.  
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone said:
    When I moved in el was topping $300 in July. 1400 sq ft built in 77, since then I've replaced the AC, reinsulated the attic, increased the attic ventilation, changed windows and added solar screens. last mo was $160 will probably hit $180 this mo and maybe $200 for August.   Your investment will eventualy be paid off in savings. Mine is always more than I like and less than the power company wants.
  • Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    $300
    Florida
    Temp set at 69
    2000sqft home
    500sqft Man cave with a mini split system in it.
    really not bad for being 90 degrees for the last 2 months
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    ~$50. Hooray one bedroom apartment, on an island so I can generally use the cross breeze. I only use A/C to level humidity out.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I asked the wife, she pays the bills and I really didn't want to know. So far between 300 and 375. I guess that's not bad for 2500 sq feet. We keep it at 72 degrees. 

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicago. 2300 sq ft. Looking like $170 ish a month in the heat. Although it has been a little cool until recently so that could get back up to the current reigning high score of $220. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Only two months in the new house.  Didn't have A/C for the first month, but did have a security deposit.  Cost me $160 or so.  Second month, we ran some window units.  A lot.  But they estimated our bill.  $80 something.

Please don't ask me about this next month.  I'm already tearing up.  My wife just made me install even more window units.  She doesn't like the heat, and our landlord is dragging on the zoned mini-splits he promised in the lease would be installed by the end of June.  Ha.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    Holy Shiite. I saw the bill at my work once and it was up in that range.
    cbuck, -25 is still cold when it's 0 out!

I'll ask my friend in the same business what his runs.  I'm curious.  And now I want ice cream.  Hope he has blueberry waffle cone in cups...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, mine went up.

Latest damage was two fiddy.

We don't keep it that cold.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch