Home Cigar 101

tobacco and pesticides

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
Anyone else ever feel a little concerned about the pesticides that have been sprayed all over these delicious leaves we smoke? I mean, we are buying cigars made in countries that haven't outlawed DDT and such.

I try not to think about it...but it's there, like a splinter, doing who knows what. I'm hoping someone will step forward and tell me "no worries, mate. safe as gold." That'd be great.

Comments

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Actually, there is a worldwide ban on the agrcultural use of DDT. The real problem with this pesticide is that it was used at much higher than required concentrations. Millions of malaria deaths in the underdeveloped world are now blamed on the ban.

It's my understanding that tobacco has a lot of natural pesticide qualities, so not a lot of additional pest control is required. A spray made from tobacco is even used as a pesticide.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    No worries, the pesticides will put hair on your chest. And I second what zoomy said, my Dad has a veggie garden and actually takes my old cigar nubs and soaks them in water and uses that concoction as a pesticide.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Unrelated to the topic, but interesting enough...I was talking to a guy at the B&M I go to who had gone on a tour of the Camacho facility and fields and he was telling me that they would weed the fields with goats (I think it was goats), because they would eat the weeds but wouldn't touch the tobacco.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Unrelated to the topic, but interesting enough...I was talking to a guy at the B&M I go to who had gone on a tour of the Camacho facility and fields and he was telling me that they would weed the fields with goats (I think it was goats), because they would eat the weeds but wouldn't touch the tobacco.
    Yup. That's actually a very popular "green" method of weed control. Just a day ago I was driving down the road and I saw a sign that said "Goats 4 Rent - $50/hr"... I can only imagine that it's for weed control, but it still gave me a good chuckle..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Garen B:
    No worries, the pesticides will put hair on your chest. And I second what zoomy said, my Dad has a veggie garden and actually takes my old cigar nubs and soaks them in water and uses that concoction as a pesticide.
    Yeh I grew some this year, slugs,caterpillars, aphids and locust love tobacco!!. I mean a one caterpillar will climb up a leaf, sit there, eat and poo, become a buttery fly, and leave behind poo and about a dozen inch size holes in a plant,nice guys eh! To get rid of those critter you either need some nasty commercial stuff or the home brew I wiped up; consisting of molasses,garlic,cyan pepper,pepper and ivory dish soap...yummmy! The commercial stuff most likely works better, and I'm sure I smoke(d) my fair share of it.
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    Yup. That's actually a very popular "green" method of weed control. Just a day ago I was driving down the road and I saw a sign that said "Goats 4 Rent - $50/hr"... I can only imagine that it's for weed control, but it still gave me a good chuckle..
    Yeah, I've heard of goats being used for that purpose, what I thought was really cool was that the goats wouldn't eat the tobacco. And it goats are going for that much per hour, I think I'm going to change vocations and go eat weeds. :)
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    I don't know, there's a couple of places in West Virginia...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The weeds/pesticides probably aren't the biggest problem they face, I would have to say Blue Mold is one of the (if not) the biggest problem they have. Which is the reason Ecuador's tobacco market has grown like crazy, because their soil is actually immune to it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    The purpose for the goats really does depend on what part of the country you are from. I didn't know that about goats though. Very interesting that they would eat the weeds and not the tobacco plants.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    This is one of those questions that I wish Alex would pop in and answer for us.

• i doesnt matter if there are pesticides and are poured into these leaves in the processing they are cleaned and the manufacturers has a certain procedure in cleaning it up before manufacturing it into our beloved cigar.
  • bforresterbforrester Posts: 16
    jsnake:
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    The purpose for the goats really does depend on what part of the country you are from. I didn't know that about goats though. Very interesting that they would eat the weeds and not the tobacco plants.
    Goats are regularly used here for brush clearance. Somebody is making some money on it too. I drop my goats on your land and you pay me to feed my goats. How is that a fair deal?
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    blacklight:
    i doesnt matter if there are pesticides and are poured into these leaves in the processing they are cleaned and the manufacturers has a certain procedure in cleaning it up before manufacturing it into our beloved cigar.
    yeah, obviously the blender doesn't want any hint of chemicals in the taste of the leaves. Plus, if they were really dangrous pesticides still on them, there wouldn't be so many beetle issues.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    blacklight:
    i doesnt matter if there are pesticides and are poured into these leaves in the processing they are cleaned and the manufacturers has a certain procedure in cleaning it up before manufacturing it into our beloved cigar.
    yeah, obviously the blender doesn't want any hint of chemicals in the taste of the leaves. Plus, if they were really dangrous pesticides still on them, there wouldn't be so many beetle issues.

I've read that there are government regulations and limitations on how much pesticide a tobacco farmer (and produce farmers) can use on their crops. It's bad PR to kill off your customers...
    nightmaremike31:
    It's bad PR to kill off your customers...
    I don't know, the cigarette companies are doing pretty well off of it.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    nightmaremike31:

Precisely... cigarette companies must have some kind of hidden marketing strategy...

Their customer buys the product, consumes it, and then it kills them...

... damn. I just can't figure it out. My Sherlock skills just can't make the connection...

If I owned a hardware store, and a customer bought a hammer from me, and then I hit them in the head with it... How (and why would they if they survive) will they come back and buy another one?
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    nightmaremike31:
    j0z3r:
    nightmaremike31:

Precisely... cigarette companies must have some kind of hidden marketing strategy...

... damn. I just can't figure it out. My Sherlock skills just can't make the connection...

If I owned a hardware store, and a customer bought a hammer from me, and then I hit them in the head with it... How (and why would they if they survive) will they come back and buy another one?
    My brother hit himself in the head with the claw portion of a hammer while nailing a board once. It was hilarious...try explaining those marks to someone!! "Uhhh...the other day...I uhhh...was swinging a hammer...and uhhh...I swung too far up and wacked myself in the noggin." Makes me laugh just thinking about it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    j0z3r:
    nightmaremike31:

I love the comparison Mike, just hit them hard enough to knock them out, and when they wake up and say " what the he-ll happened", sell the a screwdriver too.
  • j0z3r:
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    Yeah, I've heard of goats being used for that purpose, what I thought was really cool was that the goats wouldn't eat the tobacco. And it goats are going for that much per hour, I think I'm going to change vocations and go eat weeds. :)

Ha! Someday soon Joe is going to dissapear to Honduras and join those goats in Camacho's fields, making 50 an hour. Maybe even free cigars too.
    T. Gervais:
    j0z3r:
    Hays:
    j0z3r:

Ha! Someday soon Joe is going to dissapear to Honduras and join those goats in Camacho's fields, making 50 an hour. Maybe even free cigars too.
    I've already got my flight booked.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    So far I've learned that:

1. The hair on my chest is toxic.
    2. Cigar nubs actually MAKE good pest control.
    3. Goats eat everything EXCEPT tobacco.
    4. Pesticides taste bad.
    5. Goats make more money than I do.

Thanks fellas, I'm feeling better already!
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    bigharpoon:

4. Pesticides taste bad.

Just another day at the C.com boards.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:

4. Pesticides taste bad.

Line 5 is the one I found most upsetting.. Crap, five years of college down the drain !