Home Non Cigar Related

Tips You Wanna Share With The "Younger" Generation

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Non Cigar Related
I say younger in quotation marks as we have some salty dogs on the forum, and I was taught by my southern grandmother to respect my elders. Younger will mean different things to different people.

I also say the younger is in quotation marks as we can learn at all phases and walks of life; school is merely a stepping stone. Education is a lifelong pursuit (Buddhists would say across many lifetimes, but I digress).

So, in this thread I will lay out the rules. They are simple: please talk about three items you'd like to share. Come back, post often, but list no more than three items to share per post. Also, wax philosophical, but not angsty.

I'll start

1 - Buy good tools: be they a hammer, a wrench, a gun, a computer (whatever!), and learn how to properly care for them.

2 - If possible, have a cord or two of wood around. Know how to cut it, stack it, cure it, and split it. There is nothing more analog than fire, nor the husbandry of wood.

3 - Have some form of investment; be it 401k, savings, land, stocks/bonds, or precious metals. Save! Some day you will need to use that money

What will you share/teach?

-Jay
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn how to communicate with your mouth and not just by texting and social media. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Usaf06 ...  made me think of this sign outside a cafe;

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice -

Do what you have to do now, so that you're able to do what you want to do tomorrow.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    Learn how to form grammatically correct sentences and how to spell words. Increase your vocabulary so that you don't sound like a broken record. These are arguably the most important skills you can have. Auto correct won't do this for you.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    - Learn the importance of a firm handshake and eye contact.

- Learn the basics: change a tire, stop a leak, etc.

- Show respect and have manners; please and thank you will get you far
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn how to safely handle firearms. 
    Learn how to sharpen tools.
    Learn that your word is your bond. 
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were born with 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason.  Listen twice as much as you talk and you will be much better off.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    the harder you work now the easier it is later.

its what you make of it

nobody like a complainer.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find something you are passionate about, and do that as much as you can!  Life goes by quickly, don't keep putting off your passions until you "have more money", "have more time".  Learned this one the hard way.  You don't always have tomorrow.....
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many fine words of wisdom above, I guess I'd add these,

1st  Learn the meaning of the word Honor.

2nd Live that meaning

3rd  Stop saying
     "I didn't have time for...",
     you have as much time as anyone else, use it.

4th Put your G  D  phone down when you're driving, and I don't mean down so people won't see you texting.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a boat.
    The sooner you learn that boating is hard work,
    and you end up never taking it out on the water anymore,
    and you experience the joy of selling "that money-sucking dingy"
    ,............the better off you'll be. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get over yourself.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Bob_Luken said:
    Buy a boat.
    The sooner you learn that boating is hard work,
    and you end up never taking it out on the water anymore,
    and you experience the joy of selling "that money-sucking dingy"
    ,............the better off you'll be. 
    LMAO!  I love my boat.  1988 Alumacraft Phantom.  So many things wrong with her, but she still gives the fam plenty of good times on the water.  I only wish I hadnt waited so long to get one.  It is hard work, but it's a labor of love :smiley: 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Look both ways before crossing the road.
    Just because you didn't see the effort doesn't mean it wasn't put in.
  • Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    Act More like a Alpha Male and less like Beta Male.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    We were born with 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason.  Listen twice as much as you talk and you will be much better off.
    Lol, I used to use that at work all the time.  Add to that 2 hands too, I'd tell them stop telling everyone how good you are and show us instead.  

My grandfather used to tell me "When you're not making money, you're spending money."  If he knew how much I've spent here he would roll.

So I would say to live within your income for a start.  Once you get going, pay your debts off to be debt free, now you're independent and free to do as you choose.  It's not automatic, you have to earn it.  But earned independence tastes much better than given.  Whatever job you are doing, do your best and learn it thoroughly, makes it easier for you, take pride in your work.  Ears open, hands busy lol.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very sage advice in the previous posts!!

My input:

1. Trust in God.  (He knows what he's doing.)

2.  Don't ever let yourself get backed into a corner.  Always have an avenue of escape.

3. Be self-reliant.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    if you cant buy it with cash you cant afford it.
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell the truth even if it stings. 
    Stand up for what you believe in.
    Help someone if you can. 
    A well aimed round is what kills the enemy. 
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan Ark in had some good advice in Little Miss Sunshine.
  • GuitarCentaurGuitarCentaur Posts: 21
    Read more. Check out the pros and poetic eddas, good life lessons in them.