Home Cigar 101

how offten do i ad water to my pillow and the thing in my box i m new at all of this and i like it

MRHanyshMRHanysh Posts: 16
how offten do i ad water to my pillow and the thing in my box i m new at all of this and i like it

Best Answers

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    First off welcome to the forums! To make this short and sweet I would ditch the humidifier your humidor came with and invest in beads,gel or bovedas. Depending on the size of your humidor really matters on how much you need. The one that comes with the humidifier grows mold
    Money can't buy taste
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    +1 for Bovedas. Use the water pillows 'till you can get Bovedas. 

The pillows can be re-filled using distilled water. Soak them for 10 seconds, pat them dry and you are in business

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Answers

• MRHanyshMRHanysh Posts: 16
    jarubla said:
    +1 for Bovedas. Use the water pillows 'till you can get Bovedas. 

The pillows can be re-filled using distilled water. Soak them for 10 seconds, pat them dry and you are in business

-Jay

thnk you
    First off welcome to the forums! To make this short and sweet I would ditch the humidifier your humidor came with and invest in beads,gel or bovedas. Depending on the size of your humidor really matters on how much you need. The one that comes with the humidifier grows mold
    Thanks happy to be here. yeah the humidor is just a little one I got off here with like 7 cigars its just a cheppy it olds about 50 to 60 cigar

thks
    Thank you all for you're help. And i'm happy to be here and to be starting this it is something I have like for a nlong time now just never got to it and I would love to give a big thanks to Lee.mcglynn and Bob_luken and I hope you all will be around to help me learn I have a feeling you all could teach me some things as well I only got a little humidor it came with like 7 cigars  and it holds about 50 or something like that its just a little cheepy lol 
    Bob_Luken said:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cigar storage. LOL It's not hard but, it seems complicated at times. 

First you got the short and sweet version from Lee. (Great guy BTW)

Now the long, tedious, not-so-sweet version from me 'cause I'm gonna go ahead and pound out the keyboard for you. 

"how offten do i ad water to my pillow and the thing in my box i m new at all of this and i like it"

Always use distilled water for any of your cigar devices that require water. 

The pillow is called a water pillow and there are a few different brand names. Your water pillow should be wet but not saturated. If you can feel the gel and can squeeze it and moosh it around a little. It's good. If you saturate it to the point that it's plump like a condiment pouch full of ketchup, you have too much water. If it's dry it will get thin and a little bumpy. ad just a teaspoon at a time and allow it to soak it up slowly. 

The "thing" in your box is called a humidifier. There are many different types of humidifiers including electronic ones. Yours is probably a little black puck or rectangle with green florist Styrofoam under a mesh screen. These are OK for temporary use until you can find something better. Don't over saturate it with distilled water. You may want to eyeball it and put 1/3 of the volume of  distilled water that the container would otherwise hold. These eventually have a tendency to grow mold on them and you should move onto something better as soon as you pick a better option. (Boveda, Gels, or beads, Or a combination of
    devices.) 

That thing you are calling a "box" I assume that you mean humidor. 
    Cigars are sold in boxes but, you store them in a humidor. 

Big question. Have you seasoned your humidor? Google it. Use the no-wipe method. This might take a week. You'll need a good hygrometer for this seasoning in order to measure the RH (relative humidity). 

If you have not seasoned your humidor yet, Take your cigars and store them in a quart size or gallon size zip lock bag. Inside the bag place the water pillow. Boveda would be better than water pillow but ,.........

First thing for you ,... I'm assuming that you have a small desktop,.... I would recommend visiting your local cigar shop and buying some supplies. Also you can order anything you need online too.  If you don't want to invest entirely in all that I list here, at least get the first item. As you invest more, you will depend more on these products. The first item is Boveda. Very easy to use. 

1. Buy Boveda pouches. 
    If you live out in the boonies, order them online. 

http://www.amazon.com/Boveda-2-Way-Humidity-Control-4-Pack/dp/B007WHG8B4/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A211C28GSC458

2. Buy a digital hygrometer. Buy this before you season your humidor. 

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahygrometer%20digital%20humidor

3. Calibrate your hygrometer. Google the "salt-test" method of calibrating your hygrometer. Or buy an easy calibration kit from Boveda. 

http://www.amazon.com/Boveda-One-Step-Hygrometer-Calibration-Kit/dp/B000A3UBLA/ref=sr_1_1?m=A211C28GSC458&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1437754109&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+hygrometers

Wow! I'm long winded but, I'm not even close to being done. I'm out of time now but I'll check back later. In the meantime @MRHanysh  please give us more details about your exact situation. We're here to help. And, the more specific information we have from you the better we can share our own similar experiences. 

hey sorry it take so long to get back but yeah I like thye nub and i'm going to try the others as well  and  this month i'm getting Boveda 1step 75%calabration kit,Crystal jar,and Humi-care seasoning wips for my box and ciras I'm getting cohiba black,montecristo media noche,desel uncut and ramon bueso genesis what u think about that  and thanks for the LONG READING HOME-WORK I NEEDED IT
    So whats the best way to season my box?
    edited August 2015
    I tried a ROCKY PATAL DECADE  after my dinner I kinds liked the after teats you could tell it was a ceppy tho lol  the end was kinda sweet and a small hint chocolate I think lol