Home Cigar 101

just a few questions to better enjoy.

wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
ok. lets start with first in mind. when i smoke a larger ring gage, i cant seem the keep the entire cigar it all at once? and end up re-lighting a side or so. any suggestions as how to better keep it fully lit?

second, the ash, is it better to keep a large ash on the cigar?
or clean it off as much as possible?

third, how do i best get rid of the smell? are there any good tricks that a novice wouldn't really know? this includes breath, for 2 reasons, aftertaste, and gf. i dont care for the stagnant taste it leaves behind and because my girlfriend dosn't like my breath or taste the cigar leaves behind?

forth, what best compliments a good cigar that isnt alcohol?
as im only 18. and at the moment do not drink, what would u say is a good add on to a good cigar?

fith, im not looking to get addicted to cigars as some do to cigarets, and i no theres small amounts of nicotine in cigars, but what gets u addicted is he added nicotine? are there cigar companies that add nicotine to there cigars? just so i no what to watch out for.

thanxs.

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    First off, let me say you'll get a lot of great responses... I'm just letting you know what I've found that works for me.

wmaxham:
    ok. lets start with first in mind. when i smoke a larger ring gage, i cant seem the keep the entire cigar it all at once? and end up re-lighting a side or so. any suggestions as how to better keep it fully lit?
    Do you have a humidor? If so, get your sticks and let them rest for a week or so at a constant, well-controlled humidity. Tinker with this to see what works best for you. Now, when you light, make sure you get the entire end lit (there's a good post here on lighting a cigar.. read it). Finally, as you're smoking, if you notice one side starting to burn a little slower, rotate that side such that it is facing into the wind (so it gets more oxygen) and also toward the top of the cigar (so it gets more heat). Also, you can blow on the cherry on the end of the cigar at the points which need to burn more. A poorly constructed cigar will run into these issues more often, and sometimes you will have to resort to a corrective light, but it should be rare.
    wmaxham:
    second, the ash, is it better to keep a large ash on the cigar? or clean it off as much as possible?
    I don't ash very frequently. I only ash when it looks like it is getting close to falling off. On a well-rested well-constructed toro-sized cigar, I will usually ash about 2-3 times from beginning to nub. I know others who will ash 12+ times on the same cigar. I find that things burn cooler and more consistently if I keep the ash around, but play with it to learn your preference.
    wmaxham:
    third, how do i best get rid of the smell? are there any good tricks that a novice wouldn't really know? this includes breath, for 2 reasons, aftertaste, and gf. i dont care for the stagnant taste it leaves behind and because my girlfriend dosn't like my breath or taste the cigar leaves behind?
    Before I smoke, I change into a shirt that I intend to wear only while I'm smoking. The most important feature of this shirt is that it contains NO COTTON. Cotton absorbs the odor. I usually wear a shirt that is 100% Coolmax polyester or something like UnderArmour. This sheds the odor very rapidly. Also, when I'm done smoking, I change my shirt. Obviously, I skip this step if I'm not at home. If you have long hair that will absorb the smoke, a hat can help there. Also, I find that when I haven't shaved in several days, the smoke sticks to my beard, so I try to keep fairly well-shaven.

Now, as far as your mouth. Here are your best non-alcoholic options. While smoking a cigar, find something that doesn't overpower the taste of the cigar. Some here have mentioned water, milk, tea, and diet coke. I like the Diet Coke, and I will also throw out lemonade or sports drinks (like Gatorade) or even those silly flavored waters.

Finally, when you're all done smoking... here's the best I've found for cleaning out your mouth. Try Tonic Water with some lemon juice added. Or try lemonade. I find that carbonation and citrus-based drinks work well. Swish around some Sprite and spit it out. Repeat this once or twice. Then, do the same thing with something non-carbonated like lemonade. After that, drink whatever you want, and find something to eat that will finish it off. I like cheese and crackers (specifically, Monterrey Jack on Wheat Thins). Another great option here is Chips w/ Salsa con Queso.
    wmaxham:
    forth, what best compliments a good cigar that isnt alcohol? as im only 18. and at the moment do not drink, what would u say is a good add on to a good cigar?
    See above
    wmaxham:
    fith, im not looking to get addicted to cigars as some do to cigarets, and i no theres small amounts of nicotine in cigars, but what gets u addicted is he added nicotine? are there cigar companies that add nicotine to there cigars? just so i no what to watch out for. thanxs.
    I believe that cigars contain much more nicotine than cigarettes. The main difference is that you do not inhale cigar smoke. But keep in mind that cigars are unfiltered, and you will absorb nicotine through the lining of your mouth. Cigars can be addictive just like cigarettes. There are also potential health consequences. Be sure to familiarize yourself with all the risks and make a decision based on your understanding and comfort level. You know where we all stand because of where we're posting :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    1) keeping a larger ring gauge evenly burning is not something that i think about often. but then again, i now realize that ive been smoking cigars for 3+ years and i am very in tune with the cigar world. I read as much as i can and i learn as much as i can. keeping a cigar lit is second nature for me. I can see how it would take some practice for a beginner
    an even burn starts with a good clean light. the entire foot of a cigar must be lit before settling in to relax. I have a routine for lighting. not every part of it is to ensure a good light, some is for enjoyment. youll be able to see the difference. here is my proscess of lighting:
    the first step is the hardest one. Opening the humidor and selecting a cigar. that Ill leave up to you. I cant and wont tell you what or what not to smoke. once the cigar is selected take the cello off of the cigar. feel for any soft spots. dont press to hard when doing this. . and smell the cigar. put the cigar in your mouth and lick the cap (where you are gunna cut) and taste it. Make your cut with the cutter of your choice. take a draw to see if the cigar is plugged. if it is put it back in the humi. If its not, continue on. take the band off. get out your torch lighter. i hold the cigar in my left hand and the lighter in my right hand. I light the lighter and slowly start bringing the flame twoards the foot of the cigar. when there is a first hint of smoke i stop moving it. i rotate the cigar to get an even toast on the foot. when the toast is even i stop and let the cigar cool for about 20 seconds or so. at this point the cigar is still not lit. then i repeat the same thing with the lighter but this time i let it start to glow. the flame should never actually hit the foot of the cigar. when the entire foot glows i try and make one more quick pass over the edge of the cigar to make sure all of the wrapper is lit. I put the cigar in my mouth and gently blow out once. i let the cigar sit for 30 seconds to a minute. then start puffing.
    this may seem like a bunch of work but it goes quickly and is well worth it. even then an even burn is not a sure thing. the longer the cigar stays in the humidor the more likely the burn will be even. the better the construction the more likley it will burn even. there are a ton of factors out there for this. I hope i helped with at least some of them.

2)longer ash helps regulate how much O2 gets to the foot. in other words, it helps the cigar burn cool. a cool burn keeps the bitter taste down. bitter=bad. A long ash is also the sign of good construction on a cigar. the longer the ash the better the construction. ive seen ash upwards of 2 inches in my day. (i say that like im old)

3) getting rid of the smell... on you? or in the house? heck ill do both...
    my wife HATES the way a cigar smells after its done. (she doesnt like it all that much when its lit either, but i digress) i have not figured out a way to get it 100% out but i have gotten it to the point where she can tollerate it. I use clarifying shampoo. i brush my teeth before and after the shower. I usually eat a sandwich and then brush again. effectivly, getting clean has become part of my cigar routine. a nice warm shower and an hour's worth of hygene helps me relax. I smell good AND i got a cigar in. the wife can still tell but she says its faint. I brush my teeth more than ever now that i smoke cigars.
    ... not that i didnt before.

4)i almost never drink adult beverages with a cigar. i find that they have a tendency to overpower a good amount of cigars. I like water. i find myself drinking a nice cold glass of water while smoking on the porch on a hot day quite often. last summer i drank a lot of tea. I also like cola (coke is better than pepsi for this i find). I hate coffee but alot of people love cofee and cigars in the morning.

5)addiction is a funny thing. I am in no way chemicly addicted to cigars. I could (and do in the winter) go weeks without a cigar. this is how it is for a fair number of the people posting on this forum. ask them about buying cigars. thats the addiction. Cigars are a hobby. not a habbit. if you force yourself to smoke 7 or 8 cigars a day youll be chemically addicted. if you smoke every now and then, even up to 2 a day i see no problem.
    there are no high end hand rolled cigar makers that add ANYTHING to cigars, nicotine included. Premium cigars are a 100% natural product, many times they are organic. youll be able to tell a good cigar maker when you see em.

i think thats about it for now.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I can add anything to this really, good job boys.
    I agree with everything you said but this.
    dutyje:
    I believe that cigars contain much more nicotine than cigarettes. The main difference is that you do not inhale cigar smoke. But keep in mind that cigars are unfiltered, and you will absorb nicotine through the lining of your mouth. Cigars can be addictive just like cigarettes. There are also potential health consequences. Be sure to familiarize yourself with all the risks and make a decision based on your understanding and comfort level. You know where we all stand because of where we're posting :)
    you posted at about the same time i did so i didnt see your post till i posted. youll be able to see what i had to say.
    im not saying that cigars are HEALTHY, but they arent anywhere near as bad as some would have you believe. Im not sure how true it is but i once heard that those who smoke cigars tend to live longer than those who dont. since they force you to relax, you have less stress in your life. less stress = longer life.
    again, not sure if its true but its fun to talk about.
    kuzi16:
    3) getting rid of the smell... on you? or in the house? heck ill do both.
    oops. forgot the house. orick makes a damn fine air purifier. candels work well ad so does fabreeze. personally, i dont smoke inside.
    kuzi16:
    I agree with everything you said but this.
    dutyje:
    you posted at about the same time i did so i didnt see your post till i posted. youll be able to see what i had to say.
    im not saying that cigars are HEALTHY, but they arent anywhere near as bad as some would have you believe. Im not sure how true it is but i once heard that those who smoke cigars tend to live longer than those who dont. since they force you to relax, you have less stress in your life. less stress = longer life.
    again, not sure if its true but its fun to talk about.
    But the truth is they can still cause cancer. It is a risk but one I'm wiling to take. I do a few things that in my mind alleviate the risks. The tar and nicotine that sometimes comes off the cigar onto my mouth, I wipe this off my lips and spit to make sure I don't ingest this. I also rinse my mouth out after smoking. I can see the less stress thing though, usually, sometimes a plugged stick damn near sends me into cardiac arrest I'm so pissed.
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:
    3) getting rid of the smell... on you? or in the house? heck ill do both.
    oops. forgot the house. orick makes a damn fine air purifier. candels work well ad so does fabreeze. personally, i dont smoke inside.
    I second this don't smoke in the house, have you ever been in the house of someone that smokes cigars inside frequently? No thanks. Hotels, thats a different story :).
    madurofan:
    But the truth is they can still cause cancer. It is a risk but one I'm wiling to take. I do a few things that in my mind alleviate the risks.
    If humans lived forever over a long enough time line EVERYONE would eventually get cancer. everything causes cancer. you dont need to smoke to get lung cancer. you dont need to sit in the sun to get skin cancer. The fact of the matter is we dont live forever. when our time is up, we go. Eat right, excersize, still die. I dont want to go but its gunna happen at some point. im gunna smoke cigars as i go.
    Well said.
    I agree that cigar smokers tend to be addicted to the hobby. As far as the health risks, let me state it another way. I'd never be a cigarette smoker because I don't like the risks involved. I smoke cigars. I believe there is an element of risk .... although I really like this stress hypothesis, and I will keep that in my back pocket :)
    That is the best signature ever duty, I know a few of them there people!
    I can't take credit for it... one of my analysts shared that on one of our conference calls...
  • wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    thanks, that helped alot. and yeah i dont really smoke in the house, i find sitting on the back patio with a fan blowing at the side of my face keeps the smoke form hitting my shirt, and fruit punch or gatorade is what i usualy drink. just that blasted aftertast is what i need to work on getting rid of.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    wmaxham:
    thanks, that helped alot. and yeah i dont really smoke in the house, i find sitting on the back patio with a fan blowing at the side of my face keeps the smoke form hitting my shirt, and fruit punch or gatorade is what i usualy drink. just that blasted aftertast is what i need to work on getting rid of.
    Would you be speaking of the after taste of the Gatorade ? I love the after taste of a good cigar !
    the linger ing cigar mouth... thats harder. I reccoment being well hydrated before you smoke. it usually helps flush out the system.
    One can of Sprite Zero. Followed by one glass of lemonade. Then, drink whatever you want while eating chips and salsa con queso... or cheese and crackers. Works every time.

For an alcoholic alternative, replace the Sprite and lemonade with a couple gin and tonics, with a splash of lemon juice added. Keep the food the same.

Finish this all by brushing your teeth well and gargling with Listerine. Works every time. No aftertaste whatsoever. Although I will agree your best alternative is to smoke a good cigar with a great aftertaste :)
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've never smoked a cigar that had what I would call a great aftertaste. Cigar mouth, IME, always reeks. My treatment -- and it's only a treatment, not a cure -- is a glass of cold milk and a few Pepperidge Farms Mint Milano cookies.
    altoids cover for a moment. I eat and drink alot both before and after smoking. eating does it a bit. cigar mouth usually lasts less than a few hours for me.
  • wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    kaspera79:
    wmaxham:
    Would you be speaking of the after taste of the Gatorade ?
    I love the after taste of a good cigar !

well not right after i smoke. usualy like a couple hours or next morning. like right now is fine. i just got done with an oliva O and an nub. but im gona have to stop smoking but once every other week or so to really get a kick out of a cigar.
    i dont usually smoke more than one cigar in a day. But on the rare ocasion that i have, they were a few hours appart and the first one was more mild than the second. I find that if i smoke more than one a day my palate starts to get burned out.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm with you on that one kuzi. On the rare occasions that I smoke 2 in a day, they are usually 6-8 hours apart with one being in the early afternoon and one at night. I can't keep up anything like that though as I start to get burned out on one a day, let alone 2-3 a day.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I only smoke one a day i always sit out side but when i smoke a cigar i tend to spit alot (i know nasty) from building up alot of saliva in my mouth and my mouth loses the tatse in about 20 mins but i like to enjoy a coke or coffee while smoking this may also help with that.
  • Tonight I found, much to my surprise, that milk does indeed go well with a cigar. It was a Kahlua cigar, which may help... Am really looking forward to trying chocolate milk. Though some cigars have a bit of a chocolaty taste and I wonder if chocolate milk would hide or compliment this. Also tried root beer with an El Credito, which was also tasty... perhaps similar to cola.
  • wmaxham:
    third, how do i best get rid of the smell? are there any good tricks that a novice wouldn't really know? this includes breath, for 2 reasons, aftertaste, and gf. i dont care for the stagnant taste it leaves behind and because my girlfriend dosn't like my breath or taste the cigar leaves behind? fith, im not looking to get addicted to cigars as some do to cigarets, and i no theres small amounts of nicotine in cigars, but what gets u addicted is he added nicotine? are there cigar companies that add nicotine to there cigars? just so i no what to watch out for. thanxs.
    In addition to what has already been mentioned before, try smoking up-wind, if possible. I usually wash my hands and face thuroughly after I smoke, then do a good long dose of listerine. There have been times that I'd hop right in the shower after a nice long smoke. There are chewing gum products that are potent enough to help kill the smell.

In my experience, addiction is hard to come by for cigar smokers. Many aficionados do not have a chemical addiction. It has not been uncommon for me to only smoke 1 cigar a week, and I don't develop a twitch or foam at the mouth. Like mentioned before, you don't absorb as much nicotine since cigar smokers do not inhale, and cigars are fermented, so there isn't as much nicotine as cigarettes. And of course, there are no other human-infused carcinogens. I have two friends who smoke cigars and cigarettes and both have said that there isn't enough nicotine in cigars to get them to kick cigarettes completely.
    I thought I read somewhere that a cigar has 100-400 times more nicotine than a cigarette. However, the fact that you're not inhaling will substantially reduce the amount that gets into the bloodstream.
    i wonder if thats true. I know that nicotine can enter the blood stream through the walls of you cheeks, but this isnt as fast as it gets there in your lungs.

100-400 times... thats seems that it could be right. i guess it could be true, if your lungs get nicotine to your lungs at a rate that is 400+ times faster than your cheeks. otherwise we would all be physically addicted to cigars at the end of our first few puffs.

is there a clinical psychologist with a specialization in drug interaction and absorption into the body in the house? ... oh wait, thats what my father does... ill get back to you guys. maybe he will have a bit of insight into it.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Here is a link or two, to some interesting information I found about some of these questions.

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/cigars.htm

http://www.cigardiary.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=30
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    well a lot of ppl think that cigarettes have a lot of other chemicals and things in them that make them more addicting so im sure there is a great amount of nicotine but i dont think that this will lead to any sort of dependence among cigars.
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57

madurofan:
    But the truth is they can still cause cancer. It is a risk but one I'm wiling to take. I do a few things that in my mind alleviate the risks. The tar and nicotine that sometimes comes off the cigar onto my mouth, I wipe this off my lips and spit to make sure I don't ingest this. I also rinse my mouth out after smoking. I can see the less stress thing though, usually, sometimes a plugged stick damn near sends me into cardiac arrest I'm so pissed.

Hahaha, I couldn't agree more about the plugged stick. Last one I had made me furious. Let me tell you, there is nothing like being at someone else's house and only having one stick on you, and being unable to draw from it. Very frustrating.

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I used to be that way, but ever since I invented the straightened out paperclip, I'm much mellower.