Home Non Cigar Related

Big Oops

pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
The river that serves as a source of drinking water for nearly everyone in my area is royally screwed. If I have a third arm growing out of the side of my head the next time I'm on Vherf, now you know why. 
http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20150809/NEWS01/150809594/3-million--not-1-million--gallons-of-contaminated-water-rushed-from-mine--EPA-says

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lemme see if I got this straight: The contaminated water was plugged up in an old mine. Could not have that. The intended remedy was to unplug the mine so that they could get the water out and plug the mine. So they unplugged it and the water got out. Now they have to plug it back up because the water got out. Is that right so far?

Why not leave it plugged?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Lemme see if I got this straight: The contaminated water was plugged up in an old mine. Could not have that. 

.....Why not leave it plugged?
    Well, hey, it's the EPA, isn't it??  E-P-A spells bureaucrat, doesn't it??  Problem answered....  B)
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If you read the article, this mine and all the other mines that fed into his river have been contaminating the river and water supply for years and local bureaucrats refused all efforts by the EPA to have it declared a SuperFund site, which at least would have started efforts (aided by federal money) to clean it up. 

The EPA may have stupidly started the flood by trying to dam off this contaminated water, but they were hardly responsible for creating the hazardous situation that had existed for years before this happened.  

But, of course, the local yokel politicians blame the EPA for all their problems, not the polluters for slowly poisoning their communities. At least the EPA has said it will try to remedy the situation. You think that if these EPA-crucifiers tried to sue the owners of these mines for polluting their water that they'd get any kind of voluntary restitution? Puhleeze. Amazing how some people will defend to the death the rights of corporations to destroy their communities. 
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Not really looking for political banter here fellas, just trying to bring awareness to an awful situation. Also, wondering where I might get my drinking water once my city's 90 day supply of storage runs out. I'll pass on mineral water with a spritz of arsenic. 
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    wow you really got the short end of the stick there, sucks when your down river of stuff like that
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Politics aside, I do hope that the EPA or the mine owners or whoever find ways to get safe drinking water to you and your fellow townspeople through whatever means.  
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was considered for a superfund, usually no private party owns the site since CERCLA provides joint and several liability.  If you ever owned it, you're at fault and liable for cleanup.

Hope they get the cleanup going.  That's a big problem.  Had a water scare in WV last year, I did not live there anymore, but big industrial accident caused by negligent storage.  Nasty stuff leaked into river and contaminated water for 2 of the largest cities in WV. Couldn't shower, boil, or anything.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America