Home Pipes

I'm doing it wrong

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Having an issue with all my pipes. I use the gravity fill method. Lately I find that my tobacco is not burning all the way down. Frustrating me and I am not sure if it is due to moist tobacco not wanting to burn or maybe the way I pack my pipe. Any suggestions? None of my pipes are caked really well so it isn't an uneven cake.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the gravity method.  My Capt Black Royal never burns all the way, my McClelland Dark English usually does.  Maybe just your tobacco.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moist tobacco causes the most problems for me... I'm not great at packing either.  I almost never get the tobacco to completely burn where there's nothing but ash.  

Gravity method is where you basically fill the bowl by scooping up tobacco and letting gravity do it all.  Then Just pack down a little and go? 

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop tobacco in til it overflows and pack it down half way. Repeat and pack it down 2/3rds of the way. Repeat and pack to top the bowl off. Seems to work well. Been enjoying my fall line up but when I go to clean my pipes out almost a quarter of fresh tobacco sits in thr bottom. Frustrating to me. I want to smoke it all the way down and have a longer smoke. 
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here lately I have been letting my tobacco dry out a bit more than I was and it seems to help with the burn and bite, I just had to adjust the cadence to compensate for the hotter burn. I use the 'Frank' method for the most part but I have found that different pipe/tobacco combinations require different styles. My morning 'driving'  pipe/tobacco does best when I take a three finger pinch work it into a ball shove it in and mash it down with my thumb. I don't believe that there is one style that works for everything. I have one combo that will smoke to the bottom regardless of how I pack it as long as I don't overfill it.   

I mason jarred these and the tobacco is still fresh and a little moist. I may try packing them and letting them sit out a bit or move some to a baggie for a day or two. That may be. One problem I have is I love Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening but it has some bite. Seems to burn really hot. I am going to look at some of these other methods. 
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I dont try to meet the bottom of the bowl. I found it is an unrealistic goal and the leading cause of bite and ash mouth.

really, when the bowl stops burning well and flavor is done, dump it. The whole deal with the "fine grey white ash" at the bottom of the bowl is a review thing. its for those who havent smoked enough to know that only 5 bros and some D&R blends really burns that clean to the bottom.

smoke till you stop enjoying it and no more, trying to run flame to get that last soggy dottle at the bottom to burn is probably where most of the bite comes from. think of the steam that goopy mess at the bottom makes when forced to burn. this is where alot of pipe problems start to come from, burn outs, cracks, and bite. all from that extra flame and draw trying to light that crap on fire. its pipe tobacco... and yes it may seem wasteful to not finish it but my mouth is more important.

and have no worrys about a wet heel, if your rotating your pipes like you should this is of little concern.
    edited August 2015
    That makes sense @dr_frankenstein56 I always heard you wanted to smoke it all the way down to keep that cake even. But you are right about bite. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thread jacking a bit here, but doing so to express thanks. You guys rock. Thx for sharing here so others (me included!) can read/learn. 

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I try not to worry about cake much either anymore, its rare i find myself "mindlessly" smoking.

usually when its pipe time, im sitting down to relax (alone) to quietly think about time, space and life. However deep i may get into thought, its never to the point of where i cant feel that pipe getting hot or juicy... so why worry about a heavy cake? 

I think again, the realities of a "Good Cake" was in the days of when pipe smoking was just that... smoking. it was a tool, a utensil for delivering nicotene and maybe a relaxing moment. It was a drug store pipe and a pouch of carter hall, the Captain, the Prince, or the Sir. it got knocked out aganst a shoe bottom, a rock wall, a hard counter top or anything that knocked a finished bowl and soggy dottle out.

I highly doubt any of us fall into this catagory. yes we may like to smoke to smoke, but we do it with high intentions. our pipes are kept super clean, they rest often, there expensive highly prized collections of briar and cobs

granted, if you are looking for a good cake, virginia blends of coins and flakes seems to make the hardest and thinnest cakes, while aros will be fluffy light and thick.

just dont get caught up in all you read, enjoy the pipe for relaxing and pleasure