Home Cigar 101

I need a lighter that won't drive me crazy

OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have have not had good experiences in this area. Weak output, inconsistent ignition, small fuel reserves. 

Is there a good option that strikes a balance of the above, reasonably portable and a good value? 

Would love over to hear your thoughts and recommendations. 

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you use good butane. I was having troubles a while back and that was recommended to me. I bought some Xikar Purofine and don't have any troubles now. I use the same lighters as before and rarely have problems. Also, purge your lighter before refilling and wait several minutes to get back to room temperature before igniting. I had to check out youtube videos for pointers.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Xikar lighters are great.  I have the ELX and has worked flawlessly for over 2 years.  Before that I was in the same boat.  
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of options that should fit. The Ronson Jet lite can be found for about $5-$8 from what I've read and heard about from others if you get a 'good' one they last a while, might be worth trying, I've had very good results with the Bugatti, I've only had my Xikar a short while but it is very well made and I don't expect that there will be any issues. I had some problems with lighters early on but they were the $10 - $20 ones that a lot of places offer as a "bonus" deal. I think the most important things are, keep it clean, use good fuel, purge it at least every other refill.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you want us to sing the thread title?  You know, like the John Mellencamp song?

I like my Xikars, a Vertigo, a Bugatti, and off course the Alec Bradley Burner.  The Burner's my favorite for lighting, but it's not good in the wind, nor is it good for touch-ups.

The Xikars have the advantage of their lifetime warranty, but you pay for that up front, and they're not much more reliable than others.  Ccom has their branded versions of the Xikar Inpress that are nice (2 for $20), but are single torch only and no fuel window; I likes me a big fat fuel window.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    Just use matches.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I have had a xikar going strong for 5 years of daily use and through the washer. Unfortunately it just messed up, but I'm sending it away to get a new one for free. So definitely worth it to me.  The new ones have some improvements as well.  I hated the free inpress I received from ccom.

Check out the new forte or allume from xikar. Or buy a cheapie ronson. Those seem pretty sturdy and who cares if it busts. 

Any lighter needs a little care though. Possible cleaning with compressed air, purge and fill correctly and you should be good.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Did you want us to sing the thread title?  You know, like the John Mellencamp song?

I like my Xikars, a Vertigo, a Bugatti, and off course the Alec Bradley Burner.  The Burner's my favorite for lighting, but it's not good in the wind, nor is it good for touch-ups.

The Xikars have the advantage of their lifetime warranty, but you pay for that up front, and they're not much more reliable than others.  Ccom has their branded versions of the Xikar Inpress that are nice (2 for $20), but are single torch only and no fuel window; I likes me a big fat fuel window.

Spot on with JM reference. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote Ronson jet lite or Xikar, I use both. The Ronsons are without a doubt worth it; I do the YouTube mod, and gift them to my buddies I intro to cigars. 

I'll echo the good fuel tip; 3x at least and 5x filtered butane. I tried the cheap stuff and it doesn't work.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    I use Xikar I have one I can see the fuel and got some branded ccom ones for back up in case I'm too drunk to find my good one. Read several posts prior to getting one. I knew the first day I started cigars when they became my new passion...my old bics were not gonna cut it.

Get what suits you best. Glad I got my Xikars 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Xikar EX that I love and you cannot beat the lifetime warranty.  I also keep a Ronson around for touch ups as the single flame torch is nice for that.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I too caught the "Johnny Cougar" song tittle right off. And yes indeed, he began his career as Johnny Cougar. Haha. 

I've long since come to the conclusion that lighters are like knives or any other tools. You're never gonna' have one that does everything you need a lighter to do. I have a small tool bag. I carry my herfador and assorted "tools" around in it. Now, if I could just get my favorite ashtray to fit in there,......... 
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    J "Cougar" is a jerk.  And his music isn't all that great. But it was so overplayed in my "small town" growing up in Indiana that I could be biased against it.  The jerk statement comes from some personal and friends' encounters.

And I'm convinced that lighters just don't work after the initial fill is done.  Purge.  Freeze.  Whatever.  I've tried it on lots.  Haven't paid for a DuPont or even a higher end Xicar, though.  I'll shell out a few bucks for a new Ronson on occasion and really want a burner to try.  But I'm convinced I'll be disappointed in them all.  Keepin' expectations low, y'know?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of options that should fit. The Ronson Jet lite can be found for about $5-$8 from what I've read and heard about from others if you get a 'good' one they last a while, might be worth trying, I've had very good results with the Bugatti, I've only had my Xikar a short while but it is very well made and I don't expect that there will be any issues. I had some problems with lighters early on but they were the $10 - $20 ones that a lot of places offer as a "bonus" deal. I think the most important things are, keep it clean, use good fuel, purge it at least every other refill.

The Ronson is one of the best lighter I've ever had. Got mine in 2011 when I first got into cigars still working great. And my Vertigo I got free are the two best I have. A lifetime warranty don't mean **** if you have to send it back every month to be worked on or replaced. 
  • Cigar-673427Cigar-673427 Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    Hey

My father love to smoke cigar, Last year on his birthday, I gave him Alec Bradly lighter for the cigar lighting and he is using this lighter without any obstacle. I got this gift online, My father love this gift very much. 
    Post edited by krebsie on
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel said:
    And I'm convinced that lighters just don't work after the initial fill is done.  Purge.  Freeze.  Whatever.  I've tried it on lots.  Haven't paid for a DuPont or even a higher end Xicar, though.  I'll shell out a few bucks for a new Ronson on occasion and really want a burner to try.  But I'm convinced I'll be disappointed in them all.  Keepin' expectations low, y'know?
    Martel,

PM me your info and I will send you a modded Ronson. Works like a champ, esp after refills

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything Xikar is GTG since they have great customer service and stand by their products 100%. If you want super reliable then get a BIC. Some may flame me for saying that but I've been through tons of lighters (still have many) but a BIC just works and I don't get any flavors so long as I hold the flame away. Plus you don't torch the foot which can cause acrid flavors.  
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need less than the flame thrower I light my grill with but more than the inconsistent flame I have been getting. Still a point of frustration. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im in need of a lighter also. I think im gonna but the butane inserts for my two zippo lighters i have.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my Bugatti double torch. Can use for lighting and touch ups. It has a punch cutter in case I don't want to lug around a seperate cutter. I also have an impress but don't like that there is no window. I also have a sk gle flame Xikar that came as a kit with the slim cutter I recieved In the gang war last year. That one is pretty hefty and nice for touch ups. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two go to lighters are my Xicar Executive and my Ronson Jetlite.  I have two of the Ronsons that I got at Walmarts for $3.75 each.  One works great and it's going on two years now.  The other is hit or miss.

For less the $5, take a gamble.  I do use good butane because I find that does make a difference.

• Liming21Liming21 Posts: 4
    The Jetline triple has been good to me, I got a clear one to keep track of the fuel level. I have a AB burner as well, and a few other cheap ones that I use as loaners. I have a friend that uses a mini butane torch as well. We all have a good laugh when he pulls that out. But it is effective.