Home Cigar 101

temp

Cigar-229816Cigar-229816 Posts: 2
summer in calif, temp in my humi is 72/73 will this work.or shoud get it down a little?
Tagged:

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised no one chimed in on this. If your still lurking around. Those temps are a little high. Rule of thumb is 70. Constant high temps can lead to mold and beetles if your humidity is up to. Keep your humi in the coolest room in the house and never against an outside wall or in front of a window where it can be exposed to direct sunlight. 
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not surprised that this thread went unanswered for so long.....like deja vu round this B...
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    usually someone pops their opinion in or a link to a previously discussed thread of the same subject. lol My humi sits around 70 at all times. Unless the wife turns the AC off in the house... then it goes up a few degrees.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    You should be fine depending on how long you've had your stash. If you have had them for quite a while (with higher temps) and never got beetles then you should be fine. Many of the manufactures take steps to prevent beetles. I have had one or two over the years but I know exactly where they came from (one from Graycliff (at the time notorious) and another from a trade/bomb).  

I kept my cigars separate from new cigars and trades back then (in a separate bag within the humidor) after that point and didn't do any more trades. This was when I was more active with trades/bombs ect. 

My stash is well aged (many years) and I don't really worry about it at this point. My Weathertight plastiador box can hover in the 80's on hotter days and even up to 90 or so on the worst of the worst heat waves and never had a problem. Granted my humidity is always on point despite the higher temps. I haven't experienced any smoking related issues or beetles so I don't really sweat it. 

I'm in CA too (Bay Area) and it's impractical to run the AC all day if I'm not home or in the same room as the humi. I wouldn't sweat it at all; a few degrees is nothing in the long run. Steady humidity (my choice is Boveda) is much more important IMO as well as my experience. If you are in a desert/valley with 100+ degree temps all day and night then that would/could (I have no experience with that) be another issue but occasional/seasonal fluctuations are no biggie. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Surprised no one chimed in on this. 
    Hey Ricky. Actually it's one of those double posts we often get with the new format. There were 15 comments to the other post but, this one was left alone. 

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/894466/temp#latest

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Rhamlin said:
    Surprised no one chimed in on this. 
    Hey Ricky. Actually it's one of those double posts we often get with the new format. There were 15 comments to the other post but, this one was left alone. 

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/894466/temp#latest

Gotcha. This now format still screws me up.