Home General Discussion

...for a newb, that was a bit much...

I'm a bit of a newb in the cigar world. I joined this site not too long ago. Anyways, a guy I work with gave me a cigar the other day which I decided to light up the other night. Damn was it strong! It was a Oliva series V and for a newb, that was a bit much. I learned my lesson, from now on, I'll do a little research on a stick before I smoke it... (insert your smoking veteran laughs here)

Comments

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

You tend to learn as you go.  Some sticks will affect you differently than others at different times.  Stronger sticks you are better off with a hearty meal before hand rather than on an empty stomach. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    agreed, i smoked a JDN antano and almost puked......scared of them for a while, now i like them....just remember things change as you smoke. 
  • TheWacoKidTheWacoKid Posts: 16
    I'm a coffee addict and I know some people tend to look down on infused cigars, but before that Oliva, earlier in the evening, I had a Drew Estate Java. It was very nice.  
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I have been smoking for awhile and i still find the V too strong.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been smoking cigars for a couple years now... My favorite stick is the Undercrown... The first time I smoked one it knocked me on my butt! lol I think we have all been in your shoes at one point in time. :-) next time eat a steak before trying that one again. lol!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhh, the V.  Love it in corona, but it kicks me bottom in other sizes.  Melanio isn't as strong but still has some kick.   
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will mark that one down on my delay to try list.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a coffee addict and I know some people tend to look down on infused cigars, but before that Oliva, earlier in the evening, I had a Drew Estate Java. It was very nice.  

Each new cigar is a learning experience Just keep trying them . Some  you don't enjoy now but a year from nowyou might. We send out a newsletter with reviews and ratings from members if you shoot me your addy ill try to get you on the next mailing list! 
    I have a Junior version for starters newsletter if you'd like a copy... PM me
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbs! That's my story, an' I'm stickin' to it.
    Thanks guys!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Eat a full meal first. Have Coca-Cola on hand (and no diet stuff full sugar mexican coke is the best). 
    Sugar  counteracts a good amount of nicotine poisoning.  
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A year down the road, you wont think twice about having one, because it wont bother you anymore.  I started with mild to medium cigars.  One day, I slipped in a full bodied smoke and I was hugging the toilet bowl like a life preserver!

Now I smoke only full bodied cigars.  You will adapt.
  • brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    edited August 2015
    Let me teach you how to smoke. Throw in Trap Lord. Turn the bass and volume way up. Toss Shrek into the Bluray player, turn that **** way up. Snag a pizza. Brew a whole pitcher of sweet tea. You got your music, movies, food, drink, and top it off with a fat stick. You can even smoke with friends, but I wouldn't know that feel because I don't have any.

Oh you should also wear your finest flyest sweatsuit and your gold chain. 

Lay your feet up on the table and enjoy the good life.

I recommend the Gurkha Beauty, the Man O' War Pure Authentico Maduro, Ave Maria, I assume the Montecristo Media Noche would be a good first step into Maduros, anything Arturo Fuente, and anything Perdomo. 

The Gurkha Genghis Khan is top notch as well. A great cigar named after the greatest emperor.

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Kuzi has you on the right track.  I like honey roasted peanuts if I'm feeling a heavy nic-kick.  The caffeine of a coke adds to the stimulant effect for me, but you get some sugar with the honey roasts as well as some protein.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Bad_MonkeyBad_Monkey Posts: 110
    anyone have any V's that are just too strong, send em my way
    jk
    tin all seriousness, the carbs and coke advice is right on point. I would only add that since coke is bad for you, you really should dilute it with a little booze...
    I really enjoy scotch, and I usually have that with cigars. Sometimes a really good dark beer, but mainly scotch...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one stick that almost always knocks me on my butt is the Cohiba black. I don't smoke many of them but I love em. I almost always got to lie down for a minute afterwards. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me teach you how to smoke. 

Bahahahahaha! Woah, ****, that was funny.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

no matter where you go, there you are.

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

no matter where you go, there you are.