Home Non Cigar Related

Are Cargo Shorts, the new "Dad Jeans"?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lately, I've noticed some "hate" for the cargo shorts.  I've noticed quite a few jokes meant to deride the venerable old standby. Why is everybody ragging on cargo shorts? Are Cargo Shorts now the new "Dad Jeans"? 

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard that they are the new 'Dad Jeans'... but I know they have always faced ridicule.... Which makes no sense! Who wouldn't want to have lots of pockets???
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I like my cargo shorts, not crazy about the velcro pocket flaps though.
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My husband asked me about that the other day. My guess was that wives are conspiring against them because they're sick of husbands leaving stuff in the pockets and then putting them in the laundry :wink: 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    It's the urban dad uniform. Cargo shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops in California. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several pair of under armour cargo shorts that are light weight and dry fit. I wear them for everything. From work to golf.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    They are a pain in the Ass to iron! Yes I iron! 
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen much hate for cargo shorts on twitter. I don't care, I still wear them. 
    james40 said:
    It's the urban dad uniform. Cargo shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops in California. 
    Since I retired in June that's the uniform I've been wearing.  And I'm growing hairlets back on my ankles, no more socks and shoes.  Well for another month anyway.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for more.  One good pair, starting to show their age, and I want another serious hard-working pair, not the thin knock-offs that I see around here.  I'll probably have to get near a coast to find good ones. 

IOW: love'em, couldn't care less what anyone thinks of the 'fashion'.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE cargo shorts and pants. Can never have to many pockets. My wife is fine with shorts but doesn't like the pants. I'm needing to find some lighter weight material though so if you guys have any recommendations I could use some.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    james40 said:
    Since I retired in June that's the uniform I've been wearing.  And I'm growing hairlets back on my ankles, no more socks and shoes.  Well for another month anyway.
    Congrats on your retirement and hair growth!!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:
    I like http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ .  The always have end-of-season sales, and good coupon codes you can find online for 35% off and free shipping over $75.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    skydiverD said:
    I like http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ .  The always have end-of-season sales, and good coupon codes you can find online for 35% off and free shipping over $75.
    And don't forget to look on my old favorite standby - eBay. I still say there isn't anything you can't find on eBay......  B)
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Cargo or painter pants/shorts by dickies all I wear 
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bert873 said:
    I LOVE cargo shorts and pants. Can never have to many pockets. My wife is fine with shorts but doesn't like the pants. I'm needing to find some lighter weight material though so if you guys have any recommendations I could use some.
    Under armour makes really nice ones but you can find cheaper dry fit cargo shorts at Dicks sporting goods and Academy sports. If you don't have one near you they are online also.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are out.  Wife was doing laundry last week and I swear she had 5 pair of shorts in the wash.  I dug out an old pair of cargo shorts to run the the store and I felt awkward.  
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are out, but I am fine with that. I don't wear wayfarers now that they're back in style, or keep my hat bill flat, or do anything faddish anyway. Hooray for being old!

I remember chuckling at 'older folks' when I was a lad in high school; the people who seemed to be caught in the time warp of the 70's and still dressed that way even though it was the early 90's. 

Well, it seems as if God has a sense of humor, as I am the guy stuck in the time warp now. LOL

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Yeah Jay, but eventually some of that stuff comes back in style if it still fits, lol.  I have an old class picture somewhere from the late 60's sporting a nero shirt and big old medallion.  I was groovy man.  
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I love my cargo shorts! I'm not giving them up and I'm not a husband or dad. I always have a lot of stuff in my pockets so it just makes sense. I do agree not a fan of the Velcro but some have zippers which well is awesome! Screw people who hate on cargo shorts
    Money can't buy taste
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    give me cargo's, or give me death!
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw style.  I got off the "fashion bus" a long time ago.  We wear what we want, when we want to wear it.  Are we not men?!?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the cargos. I've learned that I can keep my wallet in a side pocket and not subject my bony ass to having to sit on it. Didn't have that problem BS (before surgery) but since I lost so much avoirdupois afterwards it became an issue. 

Ive tried slimming down my wallet but there are just too many 'necessaries' to be stored there.....  B)

peter4jc said:
    Screw style.  I got off the "fashion bus" a long time ago.  We wear what we want, when we want to wear it.  Are we not men?!?
    Speedo's, lol.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    We have two nudist camps in North West Indiana. I don't think they wear cargo shorts in the summer.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Jay, but eventually some of that stuff comes back in style if it still fits, lol.  I have an old class picture somewhere from the late 60's sporting a nero shirt and big old medallion.  I was groovy man.  
    I have that same picture, of me.  The Non-conformist's uniform.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cargo shorts and cargo pants are all I wear. Got some Duluth Trading quick dry cargo pants on now. Puts the wallet in a flap pocket on my leg, where I don't have to sit on it. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Only way to go.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    We have two nudist camps in North West Indiana. I don't think they wear cargo shorts in the summer.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We must be from the same era! I got banned from my 8th grade picture because I wore a Nehru jacket! My kids attended the same school, and I had to explain why daddy's picture wasn't in the class photo!
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    webmost said:
    Cargo shorts and cargo pants are all I wear. Got some Duluth Trading quick dry cargo pants on now. Puts the wallet in a flap pocket on my leg, where I don't have to sit on it. Everything in its place and a place for everything. Only way to go.
    Webmost I have had s beady eye on their firehouse material for a while now. I tend to rip the crotch out of my shorts and pants. Would be nice to have a pair of sturdy ones. 

You still liking the Duluths?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch