Home Pipes

Oxidation

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought the complete set of Decatur products including the Haze Away and Shine Bright. I used the Haze Away first since it says Step 1 on the bottle. I use Shine Bright second as it says Step 2 on the bottle. As I buff the Shine Bright on the pipe stem the stem turns white. I did 5 other pipes at he same time and it worked beautifully. This one stem is giving me trouble. I tried each step several times. Tried buffing when wet. Tried expanding the dry time to no aval. This one stem keeps turning white the more I buff it. Any ideas? Other then that super happy with the products.

Comments

• WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Rub some olive oil on it, let it sit for about 5 minutes and wipe off. Should be shiny and black like new.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called and they said on vulcanite to just use the Haze Away and not the Shine Brite. Though Shine Brite says you can use it on vulcanite it is more for acrylic stems. Working on the stems again. Will try the olive oil
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I went back and used Haze away only. Looked good. To finish it off I hit it with the Briar Wax. They all look great now and ready to smoke. Pretty easy to get a pipe restored if there is no damage to repair. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to wipe down and clean up my new-to-me Savinelli Hercules Matt 619 EX and found quite a bit of green oxidation on the vulcanite stem. I tried toothpaste and now I'm working over an open flame with a wet paper towel to wipe off the oxidation. I think I'll buff it with some rouge and see how it looks next.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one that had some heavy oxidation on it and I sprinkled baking soda on it and then dripped lemon juice on a soft cloth and it rubbed right off.