Home Cigar 101

Zippo butane

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it crap?  Or, did I just get a bad can?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Straight crap....
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made that mistake too. Only Xikar Purofine for me now.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I tried it, Once, never again.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's terrible. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah its garbage.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems definitive :(
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I recommend vector butane it has 10% propane in it which causes a better pressure and cleaner burn then 100% butane
    Money can't buy taste
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend vector butane it has 10% propane in it which causes a better pressure and cleaner burn then 100% butane
    Found some interesting data online:

Characteristics of Propane

Propane is used in North America as fuel for heating houses, and is also available in smaller portable tanks. Gas barbecues, camping stoves, and lanterns frequently can be used with propane fuel. Mixed with small amounts of other substances like butylene, propylene, and butane, it can be used as an automobile fuel known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). The odorless gas will often have ethanethiol, which has a strong odor, added to it so any leaks can be more easily detected.

If the gas needs to be stored for a long time or in variable weather conditions, propane is usually a better choice than butane. It is relatively easy to liquefy and compress, and has a boiling point of -44°F (-42°C), which means that it turns into a gas as soon as it comes out of the tank at any temperature above this. Propane can easily be stored outside in almost all environments, since temperatures below freezing don't affect how it is stored or used.

Characteristics of Butane

Butane, while not as easy to find in many places, is nonetheless a popular fuel for lighters, torches, and some camping stoves.Aerosols may also use the gas as a propellant. Although butane is generally less expensive than propane, it can be also be more difficult to use; because it is not as common, many devices are not designed to work with butane tanks.

This gas also has a boiling point right around freezing — 32°F (0°C) — so it does not work well at very low temperatures. Below its boiling point, butane stays a liquid, and there is no pressure change to force it out of its container. Butane is rarely used to heat homes or buildings in places where it gets very cold because it cannot be stored outside and still work effectively.

One of the advantages of butane is its improved fuel efficiency. If similar volumes of both substances are burned at temperatures above freezing, butane will provide about 12% more energy. This advantage makes butane a good choice for those trying to pack light, such as backpackers or campers. As long as access to an adequate supply is available, the energy efficiency and price advantage can make butane a better deal in many, but not all, circumstances.

Mixed Fuels

Propane and butane are often combined in mixed fuels, which provide some of the advantages of each. Such mixes are popular for camping stoves in particular. Because propane has a lower boiling point, it can be used to force the butane out of the container, even at temperatures at or below freezing. Pure propane needs a strong steel container to hold it under pressure; combining it with butane means that the pressure can be lower, and the container lighter, which is important for campers and backpackers.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I'm presently finishing up a can of Vector Formula 14 which, according to the label on the can, has been refined 14 times to provide extra clean fuel. I bought it because of that claim and it has worked satisfactorily for me. 

Having said that, I'm expecting a 400ml can of Xikar fuel scheduled for delivery Monday. I ordered this can on the advice of the Xikar folks when they replaced one of my Executive lighters under their warranty. I'll compare results and see which I prefer. Stay tuned......

Edit: incidentally, the can of Vector fuel I have doesn't say anything about 'mixed fuel' so evidently it's all butane.....
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I use to use the Xikar Butane but i switched to something called Lucienne.  They claim they have zero impurities and that they are a supreme quality butane.  All i can say is that all of my lighters a working better since i've started using this stuff.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to use the Xikar Butane but i switched to something called Lucienne.  They claim they have zero impurities and that they are a supreme quality butane.  All i can say is that all of my lighters a working better since i've started using this stuff.
    This is what I ran out of and bought zippo.  Now I can't find the Lucienne, although I'm suspecting it will reappear.  Hoping so.

• Liming21Liming21 Posts: 4
    Vector is easy to get in my area, I tend to stick to that. The only thing zippo gets used for is my butane soldering iron. I have a few lighters, and all of them work well. From double get to the quad, and even my AB bunsen burner. Ive been told that 5 times filtered or more is the way to go. Its been working for me.