Home General Discussion

Thoughts on Nub

This is my first post so go easy on me, I recently got into the hobby of enjoying cigars a few months ago. I do keep myself limited to roughly one or two a month do to health concerns. I've enjoyed a small variety of cigars including several Rocky Patel and Drew Estate. I'm a heavy coffee drinker and have enjoyed the Java series very much. But I'm looking into other infusions such as the Nub cafe line to get a more rich tobacco flavor over the coffee. Also I've heard the Nub series in general is a good line for the price. I just want to know what your guy's thoughts are. Thanks! 

Comments

• wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    They're all alright. Cafe is a Lil synthetic tasting and some nubs get hot. Java kills all coffee sticks!
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around a bit, smoke what You like it doesn't mater what anyone else thinks. I'm a coffee drinker myself, I try to pair the coffee to the cigar instead of matching the cigar to the coffee.   

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the regular nub line.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• FlyteFlyte Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    I like the regular nub line.
    I'm looking into the Nub line but I having trouble dropping the cash on them currently. I don't think my local b&m shop carry them. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, if one overlooks all the hype about the immediacy of the 'sweet spot' then I'd say the Nub line is as good as any. My principal objection to them is simply that I'm not a fan of large ring guages. I guess my mouth just isn't large enough to comfortably accommodate a ring guage exceeding, say, 55. 

As for the 'sweet spot' I just don't buy the notion that the leaf is cut in a certain way to immediately utilize the best portion. I maintain that the torcedore could just as easily roll, say, a toro and then cut off the first 1 1/2 to 2 inches and achieve the same thing. I think the Nub is all about realizing more cigars per leaf, pure and simple.  B)

Ccom will have nub deals pretty often. I would talk to one of the guys from the site and I'm sure they would help you on a nub purchase.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

edited September 2015
    Usaf06 said:
    Ccom will have nub deals pretty often. I would talk to one of the guys from the site and I'm sure they would help you on a nub purchase.
    You don't have to do they for me man, but thanks for the support. I'm still somewhat new to the cigar world and I haven't got a whole lot of cash at aside yet for a sampler or 5er yet. But thanks again for the offer. People on the forum sure are friendly. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Flyte,

I too am a fan of Nub. I echo onestrangeone on the pairing drink to the cigar, as well as echo wahooschock on them tasting funny.

Dunno why! I know we all have different palettes (thank God, or life would get boring).

Happy to PM you on some details I've found with regards to Nub, etc.

Also, if you'd like I can send you the newsletter. Shoot me a PM with your addy?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    jarubla said:
    Hi Flyte,

I too am a fan of Nub. I echo onestrangeone on the pairing drink to the cigar, as well as echo wahooschock on them tasting funny.

Dunno why! I know we all have different palettes (thank God, or life would get boring).

Happy to PM you on some details I've found with regards to Nub, etc.

Also, if you'd like I can send you the newsletter. Shoot me a PM with your addy?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

-Jay
    Awesome thanks! 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've tried them and I don't find anything different about the flavor. But I also don't find any difference between the first inch of a Nub or the first inch of most any other good cigar. In my mind, the whole concept is 'bottom line' related. 

But then, our palates are all different aren't they?  B)
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nub Double Maduro. 'Nuff said.  B)
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • TheWacoKidTheWacoKid Posts: 16
    The DE Tabak Especial is a good coffee stick too.  I too like the nub cafe and DE Java. 
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a Nub sampler a while back on a deal.  Can't believe I haven't tried any before this, but the NubDub was fantastic only a couple of days off the truck.  Setting these aside for later, now. 

Looking forward to the Connie with some coffee on a lazy cool fall morning.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Tabak Especial Café Con Leche pairs nicely with a strong cup of coffee....
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on if you like big rings or not. I really like them but feel the price point is a bit high. Try the Gordo seconds I've really liked them so far. 
    I haven't had the opportunity to try any ring gauge larger than a 54, I'm hoping my other half will let me save up some cash for a nub sampler soon.
    Flyte said:
    I haven't had the opportunity to try any ring gauge larger than a 54, I'm hoping my other half will let me save up some cash for a nub sampler soon.
    Good luck, it's always better to ask forgiveness than permission
    -- Winston Churchill

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Hey @Flyte

Your newsletter is on its way, ETA per the post office is Saturday.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch