Home Cigar 101

Reuse Cello?

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

Esteemed members of the board-

This is my first post on this board, so greetings from Seattle. Since I started delving into the the wonderful world of cigars a few months ago, I have accumulated a lot of cello. My question is, is it advisable to resuse them for different cigars? Would any oil residue from the inside of the cello affect flavors? Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    sightunseen:

Esteemed members of the board-

This is my first post on this board, so greetings from Seattle. Since I started delving into the the wonderful world of cigars a few months ago, I have accumulated a lot of cello. My question is, is it advisable to resuse them for different cigars? Would any oil residue from the inside of the cello affect flavors? Appreciate any feedback.

Welcome aboard. Be sure to drop by the new members thread and introduce yourself there as well.

As for your question... I have re-used the cello wrappers when sending sticks that arrived to me without a cello wrapper, in order to add some protection to the stick. I just inform the receiver that I have done so.

The transfer of flavors would only be a problem if your used a cello from an extremely aged cigar to send or store one in. Also do NOT use a cello from a infused cigar or it would definatley change your cigar. Of course this is my opinion, you may get others.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Never even thought of it, actually. I just pitch my cellos when I smoke the stick within.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I reuse cello all the time. I always try to remember to save them when I can. I buy a lot of sticks from my B&M that dont have cello. They come in handy.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, you can reuse them just like a condom. Just turn it inside out and shake the f*** out of it. lol
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    PuroFreak:
    Yea, you can reuse them just like a condom. Just turn it inside out and shake the f*** out of it. lol
    I was waiting for someone to make a condom joke.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    As for your question... I have re-used the cello wrappers when sending sticks that arrived to me without a cello wrapper, in order to add some protection to the stick. I just inform the receiver that I have done so.

The transfer of flavors would only be a problem if your used a cello from an extremely aged cigar to send or store one in. Also do NOT use a cello from a infused cigar or it would definatley change your cigar. Of course this is my opinion, you may get others.
    i dont even think the cello from an aged cigar would be a taste transfer issue.

but yeah... no infused. that WILL transfer.
  • kuzi16:
    laker1963:

i dont even think the cello from an aged cigar would be a taste transfer issue.

but yeah... no infused. that WILL transfer.
    and if it did, it very well could be beneficial.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my thought was more along the lines of "and if it did transfer any essential oils i doubt I have (or any of us have) the palate to notice"

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    smbrink:
    PuroFreak:
    I had to beat Lassy to it. lol Actually I've just been working too damn much and it has warped my mind. Dealing with too many idiots. Actually had a guy puke in mid-sentence this week... Yea, I just wanna talk to someone about *BARF*... It's been one of those weeks...
  • kuzi16:
    my thought was more along the lines of "and if it did transfer any essential oils i doubt I have (or any of us have) the palate to notice"

Ya know, I thought that too, but well the idea of generations of compounding oils rubbing off and then absorbing back into another cigar sounds way cooler, Take for example a 10year aged Opus X, slip your next one in, and so on and so forth. I think Ill try it, I promise I will post back in twenty years to see if it had any effect. :)
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭

Thanks for the feedback. Now I can practice safe cigar storage because we all know cigar abstinence does not work.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:

Thanks for the feedback. Now I can practice safe cigar storage because we all know cigar abstinence does not work.

You're really sick! You'll fit in just great here. Welcome aboard!

Re: the condom joke, Lassy must have been sleeping.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I remove and dispose of all cello before placing the cigars in my humidor.  Store them naked! 
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Theedge:
    I remove and dispose of all cello before placing the cigars in my humidor.  Store them naked! 
    ...here we go again, I hate damaged wrappers, the cello provides the needed protection when we fondle our cigars looking for just the right one to smoke. Nearly every day I think, where is that...( whatever) and have to shuffle many cigars to find it. Maybe I need to plan my selections better to avoid so much groping.
  • PuroFreak:
    smbrink:
    PuroFreak:
    I had to beat Lassy to it. lol Actually I've just been working too damn much and it has warped my mind. Dealing with too many idiots. Actually had a guy puke in mid-sentence this week... Yea, I just wanna talk to someone about *BARF*... It's been one of those weeks...
    Two Questions 1. Where is Lassy? 2. What do you do ? I want to give a setting to this random act of vomit
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968

Yuk!....but I'm guessing some kind of hospital work?

As for re-using cello...I've never even considered it. The cello comes off all of my sticks the day I get them in. It does mean that different cigars will touch each other, but that's ok in my book.

If I need to ship/transport any sticks, a her-fa-dor is best, but a ziplock bag, some packing material and a plastic container will protect those sticks nicely

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    jeff_connors:
    PuroFreak:
    smbrink:
    PuroFreak:
    Two Questions 1. Where is Lassy? 2. What do you do ? I want to give a setting to this random act of vomit
    Might have gone on a Miller Lite binge, he's been making a lot of sober posts lately. That and it's the holidays, he might just be out of town.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    smbrink:
    I reuse cello all the time. I always try to remember to save them when I can. I buy a lot of sticks from my B&M that dont have cello. They come in handy.
    I do this too, unless they are from an infused stick, then I just toss it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jeff_connors:
    PuroFreak:
    smbrink:
    PuroFreak:

Lassy fell into an open vat of Miller Lite and was last seen happily doin' the backstroke and Puro is a copper ...yeahhh seeeee ...a copper !!!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    jeff_connors:
    PuroFreak:
    smbrink:
    PuroFreak:

Lassy fell into an open vat of Miller Lite and was last seen happily doin' the backstroke and Puro is a copper ...yeahhh seeeee ...a copper !!!
    In the last 7 days I've had maybe 30 beers and 20 of them were on this last Tuesday... Retail and Turkey day stretches my **** so far that I don't have time to do anything except help tons of customers and wipe the blood..

But I do like the Miller Lite VAT idea, but then I realize at how many times that I pee in pools and then, uh yeah, The Miller Lite vat would be bad after about 30 minutes!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    But I do like the Miller Lite VAT idea, but then I realize at how many times that I pee in pools and then, uh yeah, The Miller Lite vat would be bad after about 30 minutes!
    Welll...I'm sure they have more than one vat, know what I mean? :)
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    But it's Milwaukee and it's cold, I'm not moving in-between vats.... I'm going to assume the 4.5% alcohol in the beer will kill any germs!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    But it's Milwaukee and it's cold, I'm not moving in-between vats.... I'm going to assume the 4.5% alcohol in the beer will kill any germs!
    And if nothing else, piss water, I mean Miller lite, goes through you so fast you'd basically just be recycling anyway. Hooray!
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    And if nothing else, piss water, I mean Miller lite, goes through you so fast you'd basically just be recycling anyway. Hooray!
    Did we just eradicate global thirsting?????
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    Did we just eradicate global thirsting?????
    Oh wait... I can't "REACH" my own tapper... We may not have ERADICATED it, but we're close!