Home General Discussion
Options

Weekend Blitz?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
Where is it?  Today's Friday, no?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that they have the WB anymore.  I think it is now deal of the week.  I may be wrong and if I am, sorry. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's 'out of stock' I didn't know AB had that many fans, Lol

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering what happened to it too. I don't think they had one last week either. 
  • Options
    krebsiekrebsie Moderator Posts: 86 admin
    edited September 2015

Couple of things. 

1) We do still have a weekend blitz;  it just moved from Thursday to Friday and should be live on the homepage at 9am of Fridays;  this switch happened because we added a new promotion called Happy Hour on Thursday

2)  AB Weekend blitz was last week and the deal expired

3) new weekend blitz is Palo Prieto and just went live - http://www.cigar.com/promotions/weekend-blitz  

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Krebsie
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have anything to say about those Palo Prieto?

Great price curious if they are worth a puff.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Totally worth a try, they are a great smoke.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    It's the dreaded: they're good (for the price).  Sort of.  They're actually much better than the price indicates.  I'd be getting this if it weren't for my box purchase a couple of weeks ago.  I just can't justify suffering the wrath of my wife for $30.

Copying and pasting a review from Nov. 2014 (Oddly enough, I'm making steak with a creamy pan sauce tonight!):

Holy freaking wow. This cigar surprised me; it was good. I'd never really heard of it, except for a thread a while back where I think Randy asked about them. A search shows that Alex himself commented on the thread concerning the prowess of the blender.

The Palo Prieto Aguilar Torpedo is packaged to catch your eye with a large gold foil wrap around the foot of the cigar. The band itself is normal sized and mostly blue. It's a good look, if hard to snap a picture with a flash because of the reflection. There is a fairly noticeable seam and one vein on the wrapper. The cigar is milder than I expected from the pre-light draw which I held in my mouth and felt as much as tasted pepper. But throughout the cigar I got very little pepper and not much power. More of a mild-medium stick.

There is some rich creaminess to the flavor profile...almost like a creamy pan sauce you make with a peppered steak that gets seared in the pan and leaves some juices. Saute some earthy mushrooms in there with some butter and add some seasoning, spirits or wine to deglaze and reduce it, and then just a touch of heavy cream. That's the kind of depth of flavor I'm talking here. Nothing was prominent, but it had some layers of complexity. It was not a cigar that varied in flavor, however. That complexity was always muted. Sometimes through the cigar I'd label it "smooth" and other times it would be "muddled".

The single price on the Torp is $7.25, but the box price is under $5, and I know there are specials to be had out there that will bring the price down some more. I am now considering buying a box of these, but probably in the Robusto. The flavors did take a sharp turn for the worse at the end...I didn't nub this one...when it started to burn hot. The burn was even through the smoke and the draw was almost too easy. But for a cigar I'd never heard of I wasn't expecting much. Really it blew me away how satisfying it was to smoke this cigar. I'm not much of one to say "for the price", but we all know that price affects what we buy to some extent. This cigar is a value.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has to be the best definition of "creaminess" I've ever heard!